Will the Samsung DVD-HD93 be worth it for my RPTV???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by CraigK, Nov 15, 2003.

1. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

I went to Future Shop today and looked at this player. The cost was high (499.99 Canadian), but I liked the fact that it could upconvert to HD levels.

Question: I curently have the JVC I-ARt AV-48Wp30 RPTV hooked up to a nice Panasonic progessive scan DVD player (model - DVD-RP62. I like the picture quality now as it is. Will I notice a HUGE difference with this new Samsung player...its an investment of 500 bucks so I wanna make sure its worth it.

Thanks

2. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

No, I would say not. I have a 58" Pioneer Elite W DVI, and a DVD-1600. I tried the HD931 in my setup, and all I got was edge enhancement & a slow to respond machine. The Denon & my RP91 put a much more pleasing picture out. I sold it. Now I wish I hadn't, because I bought a Sony Grand Wega III 42" last night for the bedroom. On a DIGITAL DISPLAY, there will be a difference, just not on a CRT IMHO.

3. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Skylar! That dude at Future Shop almost suckered me in...but I told him that I would have to consult with some firends...ON A GREAT FORUM THAT IS!!

4. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I agree with Skyler, but I would go a little further and say that even on a digital set it may not even be worth it. I did some back to back between the samsung hd player using the DVI that comes in the box on a 50" DLP and compared it to a sony dvps725 using the thx ultra monster comonent cables, and found the sony to be WAY better. Much less background interference and smoother edges.

5. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

6. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

the other thing, your TV has to have DVI-HDMIA since the sammy outputs the encrypted signal in the DVI line (although I've been told that a sammy service person will help you turn it off if it doesn't work with your set)