What's new

Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow: THE HTF ADDICT 3D REVIEW (2 Viewers)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
TravisR said:
Live Die Repeat is just the tag line for the movie. Since that tag line is vastly better than the actual title of the movie, they've made it about 20 times larger than the real title on the cover. To the best of my knowledge, the title on the movie itself is still Edge Of Tomorrow and not "LIVE DIE REPEAT Edge Of Tomorrow".
It's also silkscreened on the BDs and DVD as LIVE. DIE. REPEAT./EDGE OF TOMORROW.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the movie and sprang for the 3D Blu-ray, since it was only $5 more. We need to support movies like this, which, while not completely original, pursue alternate angles and create originality out of that pursuit.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:
Ron has a Samsung plasma.
Oh, OK. I hear Samsung is discontinuing production of plasma after this month. Drag.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dick said:
Oh, OK. I hear Samsung is discontinuing production of plasma after this month. Drag.
I got two words for you.

DLP Projector.

Get a Benq W1070, it can do roughly 10 foot-lambert in 3D after calibration on a typical sized screen, that is bright 3D, it's also crosstalk free, a major issue is it's DLP link, get the wrong glasses you will see red tints in blacks and possible white sync issues, get the right glasses and you won't see that, the right glasses are the Optoma ZF2100, triple flash 144hz 3D perfection.

Such projectors are cheap and you can get a cheap quality roll down screen for your room, now the bad news is that projectors do tend to work better if you can darken your room's side walls, floor and ceiling but they are the cinema in your home.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to watching this soon. Bought it sight unseen because I loved Liman's Swingers, Go, and The Bourne Identity. I even liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith though I wouldn't rank it as highly as the other three.

As for Mr. Cruise, I'm one of those who grew up with him in the 80s, all of us in junior high wishing we were half as cool as Maverick, and then watched with fascination as his career and personal life has taken many...interesting...turns. Let's leave it at that.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed him in Magnolia as well as his cameo in Tropic Thunder. And to my great surprise I really like Oblivion as well. I have high hopes for Edge of Tomorrow.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Per usual, Cruise is very good here Carlo. No star working at his level is as dedicated to all the physical details that go into making a role like this really click.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Tom Cruise on-screen. Off-screen though, that's another matter... ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Carlo, if you liked Oblivion, I think you'll like this one and maybe even a little more. I saw Oblivion not expecting much and enjoyed it, and had the same experience with this movie too. I think Edge Of Tomorrow actually has broader appeal than Oblivion and is overall a much more fun movie.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Live Die Repeat (wink) is out on blu-ray tomorrow here in the UK, I've seen it in 2D now I'll get a chance to check out the 3D.

I enjoyed the movie, though it did get a little repetitive. :P

If I had to pick between the two, I'll take Oblivion, loved the visuals and the music score.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched this in 2-D a couple of days ago.

This film was a lot of fun. It really did have a Groundhog Day vibe to it in how the main characters dealt with their odd situation.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Mike it was Groundhog Day + Matrix. That said, I did enjoy the heck out of it. Definitely different than Oblivion, which had a much more contemplative feel to it, whereas this was clearly action oriented. But everyone was right, Tom Cruise really does well in this role, and I can watch Emily Blunt all day. Nice to see Bill Paxton actually play a semi-badass rather than a pseudo-badass (Game over, man, game over!) and Noah Wyle legitimizes any role he is in.

What I found most fascinating is how they began shooting without a finished script. Watching the extras, and Doug Liman explaining how they're writing and developing characters for people as they cast and then shoot...wow, that's real guerrilla style filmmaking right there! And I'm very impressed at how cohesive the story came out, despite the fact that it was essentially written on-the-fly. Liman also mentions that The Bourne Identity also did not have a finished script, although that had a fully-fleshed out novel behind it, whereas EoT had a Japanese graphic novel, I believe. Not having read that, I'm not sure how much pre-existing material EoT had to work with.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
Yeah Mike it was Groundhog Day + Matrix.

...and I can watch Emily Blunt all day.
I had to check her IMDB page. I've only seen Emily Blunt in a couple other roles (Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, The Adjustment Bureau & Sunshine Cleaning). I totally agree with you, Carlo, and I can certainly see what John Krasinski sees in her! :biggrin:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Check out her Oscar nominated role in The Devil Wears Prada. She is terrific in it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Tino said:
Check out her Oscar nominated role in The Devil Wears Prada. She is terrific in it.
She actually wasn't Oscar-nominated for it (probably should have been), but I agree that she does a sensational job.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Right. Duh. Brain fart sorry. She won the Golden Globe for Prada. She should have at least been Oscar nominated.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Carlo Medina said:
Liman also mentions that The Bourne Identity also did not have a finished script, although that had a fully-fleshed out novel behind it, whereas EoT had a Japanese graphic novel, I believe.
Edge of Tomorrow is based on a Japanese novel called "All You Need Is Kill," which was also adapted into graphic novel format in Japan. But the original was a regular book.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Great review, Ron! I missed this theatrically. It got lost in the glut of summer films for me, but I have to say Warner's marketing campaign was pretty anemic, and that sure didn't help matters. I picked up the 3D Blu-ray last week and WOW this is a fun and entertaining flick! I agree with your assessment of the upconversion. There is nothing in the way of pop-out to recommend here, but the 3D version adds tons of crystal-clear depth that truly does enhance the proceedings and makes for an overall thrilling viewing experience. This is a terrific popcorn movie, and one that will hold up to repeat viewings. Good stuff!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dick said:
A HUGE amount of ghosting on my 55" Panny plasma. I thought you had one of those too, Ron...I'm surprised you didn't have that issue. Makes me almost willing to give up the plasma (and thus the deep blacks) just to get better on 3-D on this and DIAL M (another Warner Bros release).
Dick,

Have been away so I apologize for missing this.

No, I don't own a Panny. I own a Samsung and saw no ghosting on that display.

Then again, Samsungs are known for their better handling of crosstalk.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I thought the 3D version was bad-ass. I don't need pop-outs to enjoy the experience because depth and separation are my bag, baby, and this movie's got them both in spades.

And I disagree that the dirt and debris not coming right into the audience was a by-product of a lazy or half-assed conversion, as it's clearly intended to be an approximation of the digital schmutz 'hitting' the lens of the camera just as it is in the 2D standalone version, though there are moments which break that convention and do indeed fly out, I was ducking and diving a fair few times.

Awesome 3D IMO and a ROCKING 7.1 mix. Dat bass!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Geoff_D said:
I thought the 3D version was bad-ass.I don't need pop-outs to enjoy the experience because depth and separation are my bag, baby, and this movie's got them both in spades.

And I disagree that the dirt and debris not coming right into the audience was a by-product of a lazy or half-assed conversion, as it's clearly intended to be an approximation of the digital schmutz 'hitting' the lens of the camera just as it is in the 2D standalone version, though there are moments which break that convention and do indeed fly out, I was ducking and diving a fair few times.

Awesome 3D IMO and a ROCKING 7.1 mix. Dat bass!
Agree. Pop-out's overrated, especially in here. I have to admit I enjoyed the film a lot more on the second viewing and 3D was used very effectively. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.