What's new

Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow: THE HTF ADDICT 3D REVIEW (1 Viewer)

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Hudson Hawk is an unfairly neglected masterpiece of irony and idiocy (not necessarily in that order); and apparently it did well in Europe, so maybe I live in the wrong time zone. As for why Edge of Tomorrow is a great movie, two words for you: Doug Liman. Yes, I'm a fan, and don't hide it, I love everything he's done, and believe he is a criminally under-rated director. Why? No idea, but maybe the industry bad mouthing he apparently got for the first Bourne movie has something to do with it; but look at the work; even when it's not an A+ grade, it's still streets better than most of the dreck turned out. The man thinks, and isn't afraid to put thoughts into movies. This is a first-day buy for me. (But not in 3D).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Best film of the Summer and great from beginning to end. Can't wait to get the 3D version. Also I believe Tom Cruise consistently delivers great performances and this is one of his best.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
bujaki said:
I've liked Doug Liman's work from the word Go! I'm really looking forward to this one.
Yeah Go is also a personal fave. It's not so much a film for young persons as about young persons, so natch, the studio did not know how to market it. Fantastically and wickedly funny. Best scene: thinking to the cat.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Live Die Repeat is just the tag line for the movie. Since that tag line is vastly better than the actual title of the movie, they've made it about 20 times larger than the real title on the cover. To the best of my knowledge, the title on the movie itself is still Edge Of Tomorrow and not "LIVE DIE REPEAT Edge Of Tomorrow".
Ya know, this is what I figured, too.

But, much like Ron included the "Live, Die, Repeat" in the film's title in this review, Amazon has also included it in their listing of the movie.

Strange.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Quick question on Edge of Tomorrow. When watching the opening TV News broadcasts on the 2D Blu Ray edition, the bottom line of text from the broadcasts is cut off halfway through at the bottom of the screen. It looks like a framing error is chopping off the bottom of the line of text. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeff Cooper said:
Quick question on Edge of Tomorrow. When watching the opening TV News broadcasts on the 2D Blu Ray edition, the bottom line of text from the broadcasts is cut off halfway through at the bottom of the screen. It looks like a framing error is chopping off the bottom of the line of text. Is this how it is supposed to be?
Yes

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I hope it's not the start of a new trend, making the tagline larger than the movie title. :D
I don't know have I been to this thread before? :P

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
TravisR said:
Live Die Repeat is just the tag line for the movie. Since that tag line is vastly better than the actual title of the movie, they've made it about 20 times larger than the real title on the cover. To the best of my knowledge, the title on the movie itself is still Edge Of Tomorrow and not "LIVE DIE REPEAT Edge Of Tomorrow".
Not without precedent in home video. For another notorious example, you can blame Canada:
51JKPQIN4kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
As for this movie, I just finished watching it, and can't make up my mind whether it's the smartest dumb movie or the dumbest smart movie I've ever seen.

Either way, I really enjoyed its puzzle-box script, direction, and editing, and thought the performances were unusually good for the genre*. But man, that cast sure had a good workout...

* "You go, Bill Paxton!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steve,

I am really happy to hear you enjoyed this film.

Looking forward to hearing other member comments -- especially those that bought this
blindly based upon my recommendation.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Actually, I 'tested the waters' via Blu-ray rental Ron (and yes, our little Rocky Mtn. foothills community still has one of those classic-style home video rental bays). Originally, I was going to wait for bit of a retail reduction on the Blu-ray, but your enthusiasm tipped me over. I'll still buy, because I suspect this one will have considerable replay value...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I loved this in the theater this summer and loved it even more watching at home tonight. What a great, cool, fun movie! Definitely one of the best this year.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A HUGE amount of ghosting on my 55" Panny plasma. I thought you had one of those too, Ron...I'm surprised you didn't have that issue. Makes me almost willing to give up the plasma (and thus the deep blacks) just to get better on 3-D on this and DIAL M (another Warner Bros release).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick said:
A HUGE amount of ghosting on my 55" Panny plasma. I thought you had one of those too, Ron...I'm surprised you didn't have that issue. Makes me almost willing to give up the plasma (and thus the deep blacks) just to get better on 3-D on this and DIAL M (another Warner Bros release).
Ron has a Samsung plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.