What's new

Will the massive Region 2 Laurel & Hardy and Carry On Collections get a US release? (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Really, I am so close to importing and I really don't want to (due to the price, it will cost me like 600 dollars) but I may, I do have a region free DVD player that converts PAL to NTSC.

Does anyone know of any plans of these coming to USDVD? I know Laurel & Hardy have been messed up for years in the US but I hope they are resolved and I have no idea about Carry On's fate...

The Laurel and Hardy Collection I want has 21 discs with:

1. A Chump At Oxford / Related Shorts
2. Classic Shorts / Someone's Ailing
3. Way Out West / Shorts
4. Classic Shorts / Ollie And Matrimony
5. Our Relations / Dual Roles Shorts
6. Classic Shorts / Murder In The Air
7. Blockheads / Themed Shorts
8. Classic Shorts / Blackmail
9. The Bohemian Girl / Related Shorts
10. Classic Shorts / Be Big / Laughing Gravy
11. Saps At Sea / Themed Shorts
12. Classic Shorts / Laurel And Hardy And The Law
13. Sons Of The Desert / Related Shorts
14. Classic Shorts / A Job To Do
15. Pack Up Your Troubles / Related Shorts
16. Classic Shorts / Maritime Adventures
17. Swiss Miss / Animal Shorts
18. Classic Shorts / Married Life
19. Pardon Us / One Prison Short
20. Classic Shorts / More Brushes With The Law
21. Bonus disc: Brats (alternative version) / A Tribute To The Boys / Hinter Schloss Und Riegel / Prudence / Thundering Fleas / Fluttering HeartsThe Laurel & Harsy Coll

And the Carry On one I want has:
1. Carry On Don't Lose Your Head (1967)
2. Carry On Follow That Camel (1967)
3. Carry On Doctor (1968)
4. Carry On Up The Khyber (1968)
5. Carry On Again Doctor (1969)
6. Carry On Camping (1969)
7. Carry On Up The Jungle (1970)
8. Carry On Loving (1970)
9. Carry On At Your Convenience (1971)
10. Carry On Henry (1971)
11. Carry On Abroad (1972)
12. Carry On Matron (1972)
13. Carry On Girls (1973)
14. Carry On Dick (1974)
15. Carry On Behind (1975)
16. Carry On England (1976)
17. Carry On Emmanuelle (1978)
18. That's Carry On! (1977)(Which I already have from the US release with 12 other Carry On films)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if I had to guess (and I do), I'd say that studios aren't too big on releasing 21 discs of anything in one package over here, for just that reason: price point. If it does happen, they'll probably break them up into different volumes. Also, it's not 600 bucks, it's more like $364 at sendit.com formerly blackstar.co.uk.. Someone will gripe about this needing to be in the Regional forum in 3... 2... 1...

Tory

Real Name
Tory

Thanks for the store recommendation, I will check that out. As to the reason for this being on this board though is I know about the Region 2 release, I want to know if a Region 1 is coming or likely and since that boards description says non Region 1 I thought this would be a better place to ask. As for US and large boxsets, I m a box set lover and I would purchase it.

Tory

Real Name
Tory
I just checked out that site and it would cost 380 British Pound = 693.196 US Dollar and that does not include shipping. I think this would be half that for a US release and I am willing to hold out if I can find any news...

Tory

Real Name
Tory
Ah, I see, that is just Laurel and Hardy, I was including Carry On in my total.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Tory - there is no chance of the L&H set being released in the US. Why, because the North American rights are owned by Hallmark/Artisan as part of the larger Hal Roach library they own. Not only have they shown zero interest in capitalizing their L&H catalog, they actually were going to destroy original negatives of various Roach titles before wiser people intervened and stopped this (there are other HTF threads discussing this). The European rights are owned by Kirchgroup and they're the ones who funded the wonderful restorations that Europeans enjoy.

You might want to check out Amazon UK for the L&H set. It's much cheaper there. They sell for 150 pounds, but after you deduct the 17% VAT that Americans don't pay the price drops to 128 pounds. Add 3 pounds for S&H and you're looking at 130 pounds total.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Carry On.

By the way, there is a lengthy L&H thread in the Regional DVD area that you may also be intereted in.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Tory

Real Name
Tory
Thanks Steve, I have been aware of some Laurel and Hardy problems in the States, but I was not aware of the drastic situation or the trouble the Hal Roach stuff is in. Why don't they sell them like they did the Filmation Library? (If you are unaware Filmation was owned by Hallmark and it housed He-Man, Fat Albert, and other TV cartoon properties) I will search for the other topics. I was unaware of the 17% VAT, which I guess must be some included tax, that does ease my mind about price some, actually alot.

I don't think the Carry On Collection is in as much trouble as Laurel & Hardy though. I have heard nothing of these getting release in the US. I have no idea how well Anchor Bay's set of earlier Carry On films sold and if they have rights. Also we just got a Carry On Laughing box set from A& E,the 13 episode Carry On TV series that I believe is included in this movie collection over various discs as bonus features. That alone makes me fearful of exact duplicates of releases but I would still like to see the films plus some of the extra supplemental materials on USDVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That boxed set looks awesome.

Being a rather huge fan of L&H (I owned a lot
of their BlackHawk Super 8 films) I might be
tempted to plop down the money to buy this set.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have done a HTF thread search for the Carry On films in the DVD folder, and found three threads among the search results, with this thread having the most replies.

My favourite Carry On film is probably Carry On Camping (1969).

Not interested in the black and white films in the long running series (that doesn't mean that I won't watch black and white films. Far from it). Over the Christmas and New Year holidays a season of the Carry On films was shown in the UK (on ITV3). No matter how many times you've seen the Carry On films, they have plenty of rewatchability value. The last film in the series which I liked was Carry On Behind (1975), with Elke Sommer, Kenneth Williams and Bernard Bresslaw (this would be his last Carry On film).

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
This is an old thread. The above link does not give the expected thread. I am only familier with the L&H. . Recently released in the USA was "The essential collection of L&H which is very good. I also have the 21 disc UK versions along with the german versions ( which were made poorly). I believe the UK version could be had for circa $50 including postage according to posts here in this forum.

Perhaps I could supply some detail. The US yersions has no silent films.There are some unimportant things in the german set NOT on the UK set. The US has the owned sound versions while the UK and German sets have the silent & sound films. The UK set has subtitles but not for the "non-english" films (opposite to the US films.

I have a good link for the UK version (http://www.laurelandhardy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/newDVDREV.html)
plus my blurb listing what is on the German set

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Sumnernor

This is an old thread. The above link does not give the expected thread. I am only familier with the L&H. . Recently released in the USA was "The essential collection of L&H which is very good. I also have the 21 disc UK versions along with the german versions ( which were made poorly). I believe the UK version could be had for circa $50 including postage according to posts here in this forum.

Perhaps I could supply some detail. The US yersions has no silent films.There are some unimportant things in the german set NOT on the UK set. The US has the owned sound versions while the UK and German sets have the silent & sound films. The UK set has subtitles but not for the "non-english" films (opposite to the US films.

I have a good link for the UK version (http://www.laurelandhardy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/newDVDREV.html)
plus my blurb listing what is on the German set

When you say an "old thread", are you referring to the thread linked to in post #11 of this thread?. There hasn't been a problem before with bringing back an old HTF thread, when wanting to continue or re-start discussion on a series of films which other HTF posters could be interested in. And as I pointed out in my previous post, instead of starting another thread for the Carry On films (which is the side of this thread I'm interested in), thought it was best to do a HTF thread search for possible Carry On threads.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Yes I am speaking about that link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186105

Have you looked at that link? It has nothing to do with the topic in post 11. Don't forget we have a new system and many old links don't work.

That link

"Please help with poor video quality....!" has nothing to do with L&H

I am referring by "old thread" not only to the link in post 11 but also the thread which has post 11 in it. I am not talking about carry-on.. There seem to be 2 topics - carry-on and L& H. In this "old" thread, the L&H topic is very much outdated

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks