What's new

Will Stephen King's "Kingdom Hospital" come to dvd? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am just wodering if anyone has heard whether the new SK show Kingdom Hospital will be released on dvd? I know their is going to be 15 episodes.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Of course Kingdom Hospital will come to DVD. When? Who Knows But It Will Come.

"The Clock Is Ticking Brothers and Sisters"

Larry W

Agent
Mark,

If you are interested, you can get region 0 DVDs of the original "The Kingdom" and "The Kingdom II" now at www pokerindustries com (I left out the dots because htf won't let me put in the url). Poker Industries sells imports.

Larry

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
So this really is just a ripoff of the Lars von Trier tv series "The Kingdom" (about the haunted hospital)? I remember seeing an advertisement for this thing, what, last summer? Are they "remaking" it for American TV, or is it just a flat-out, uncredited ripoff?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If IMDb is to be believed, it's an American remake, von Trier is still credited, and the setting is still a hospital in Denmark.

M.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's good, I guess... they'd be begging for a lawsuit otherwise. I sorta suspect this will pale in comparison to von Trier's groundbreaking series, the style of which, by the way, was inspired by his viewing of the great American cop show "Homicide" (a little known fact!).

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
Von Trier will be credited, but the setting will be Maine, not Denmark. Stephen King says he was a huge fan of the orignial, but you can bet this will be "King-ized." This is the same basic creative team responsible for "Storm of the Century" (good) "Rose Red" (bad) and, to a certain extent, "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer" (ugly, and King was not DIRECTLY responsible for it).

The cast is very impressive for a network TV series. But I've learned not to get excited about King's TV stuff. Like the theatrical movies, the good are heftily outweighed by the bad. King's brand of sentimental, current-culture-drenched "pop lit" just doesn't translate well to the screen. I have come to accept it.

I'm hoping for something as good as "The Stand," but based on some previews I've seen, this may be closer to "Golden Years."

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Hi I thought i'd give a bit of an update. I found this at TVTome's Kingdom Hospital page. Now i'm not sure if it is an April Fool's joke or not as it was posted on April Fools but i'll post it anyway. Now i'm fairly certain as this is Stephen King we're talking about that Kingdom Hospital will come on DVD and i'd be quite surprised if it didn't.

Anyway here's what I found

"Kingdom Hospital coming to DVD!

Even though the series isn't even halfway finished, Buena Vista Home Video currently has plans to release the full 1st Season of Kingdom Hospital on DVD! It appears that it will happen whether the series will finish out or not. Which should be good news for both fans and the series, because in the event that the show doesn't get the chance to play all 13 episodes (Vegas currently giving 4-1 odds that ABC will give it the ax), fans will be able to buy the complete series on DVD. And the show will thrive in DVD sales since having the complete series in their possession will be a great collectors item, not to mention the legion of Stephen King fans who will buy it just because King had a hand in its creation. But don't look for it too soon. Like most BVHV shows, it probably won't hit shelves until Christmas."

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a miniseries! I didn't know it hadn't aired yet. I thought it did. And I thought it was based on his car accident... is there a character in Kingdom Hospital that's based on Stephen King?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks