What's new

Will have $1800 to buy new HDTV and stand...need help.. (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I bought my Toshiba 50HX81 HDTV in 2001 based on the Home Theater Forum users many years ago, and now I will follow my original plan and trust yall for your help now. Because yall did not do me wrong then! I know these posts are all over the place, but I trust yall, and believe that yall will come through once again....

Here is what I am looking for:

*at least 3 HDMI v.1.3 inputs
*VGA (would be nice if it accepted 1080p for my Xbox 360 HD-DVD player)
*56-60" screen (of course 60 is what I would prefer)
*rear projection (I am a picture purest...I love my deep blacks)
*Has the best picture NOT out of the box, but after ISF calibrated..or at the very least calibrated with Digital Video Essentials
*great deep blacks
* prefer to buy local (Cincinnati area, but willing to go online)

Thank you all soooo much! I can never tell yall how much I appreciate all that the HTF has helped me with over the years and every chance I get I attempt to spread the word of HTF to everyone I meet! Thank you all so much in advance and God bless ya!
-------------------------
Oh and I am currently looking into the Sony 60" BRAVIA® A series SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTV (KDS-60A3000)..............

and I am looking to purchase around this Christmas ('07). Thanks!

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Right now Circuit City has the 60" SON KDFR60XBR2 for 1399. For what it's worth. It doesn't have the 120hz refresh rate that the 3000 series does, but I'm hard pressed to find a better set for the money. I would check to see if it is locally available.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Thanks Justin.

I was just there today and did not see that set for sell. And when I tried to type in the model number you provided online @ Circuit City.com and nothing came up... is it a local buy for you there?

Yeah I really loved the picture on the 60" 3000 series there was there...right next to the 61" Samsung, and they were both the same price... I just don't know which company's sets are better after calibration. thanks again man. I really appreciate it!

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Thanks justin, I am still looking into it.. I am wondering about it and the Samsung 61" DLP.. I really think I will like the Lcos technology better, no rainbow effect, but I am still thinking.....it looks like there will not be any black Friday deals on this TV set, so I might just buy a cheaper stand this Black Friday and see if there will be any open box deals after Christmas, or maybe even wait and see if there wil be any deals right after the superbowl. Any suggestions? and anyone else is sure welcome to chime in if they would like.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I know it's not LCOS/SXRD, but there will be a 65" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV (WD-65733) for $1499) on Black Friday. It doesn't have a VGA input, though. Also, early purchasers had to contend with some fan noise, to a color wheel whine, but later units seemed to have less issues with both.

Circuit City will have a 65" Toshiba DLP HDTV set for $1499 as well. Don't know the model number, and Toshiba has gotten out of the RP TV set making business, now they concentrate on flatscreen TVs.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Well, I got the big one today, and man am I loving it!

I bought the Sony Lcos 60" KDS-60A3000...and wow, I had no idea going form a 50" to a 60" made such a difference! Amazing!

And I found out that my my new baby Sony accepted 1080p through my component cables form my old Xbox 360! I just watched Oceans 13 in HD @ 1080p and it was a blast!

Thanks for all yall's help and hey Partick! I remember you from way back. I remember my Infinity speakers and you were by far the closest set up i have 4-5 years ago that I had. thanks for your comments! Now I am off to learn more about my TV form the forum. Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks