What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Will Battlestar's Ending Dissuade You From Buying the Complete Series? (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
RDM's Battlestar is that rarest of shows that transcends the original material, and I say this as someone who watched the original when it was first broadcast in 1978. From now on, when someone mentions Battlestar, I will think of the 2004-2009 show first.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
In some ways, the finale of BSG, which I have bought every season of as it came out, left me with the same feeling as the 3rd Matrix film. I finally arrived at a state of satisfaction when I watched it a few times and spent not a little time online reading the considerable insight from many others.

The finale of BSG, esp the last hour, 'gave' little and required much, and for those who thought to be merely entertained to the end, perhaps will be remain disappointed. Some digging will render the reward

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

Don't get me wrong, I loved this series but I just wished it stayed true to the theology it first introduced. The answer to the question of why the Cylons believed in the one true God while the humans believed in deities was never answered. That was a major hole for me for which I know that if I watch the whole series over again, I'll still have that gaping hole waiting for me at the end. To be honest, it was the theological aspect of the show that gave it the edge that it needed and surpassed any other series on television.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

HarryN, I'm sorry that you feel that way but I never spoil any show when I provide a comment. I gave nothing away about the show other than I wish somethings were a little different. TravisR said it best - it's only one man's (mine) opinion. Watch the last half of the season, there are some truly memorable moments. Enjoy.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I'll be buying 4.5, as I have the rest. Though I've been sitting on 4.0 until the conclusion comes out, so I won't have a hiatus between releases. Since I watch one episode a week, I could probably start when one of my current series finishes soon.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Wow Lou your feelings on this show pretty much echo mine and I thought I may have been alone on this.
My feelings on each Season:
Season One: Just A little better than OK but with potential to make me want to keep watching.
Season Two: Excellent
Season Three: 1st half Very good; 2nd half lost focus and was a chore to keep watching.
Season 4: 1st half more of a chore to keep watching but I had to see the end. 2nd half surprised me as it regained some focus and became very good again.

Overall it was worth watching once but I wouldn't watch again or buy it because I really only liked half of the material.
When someone mentions Battlestar Galactica to me I will always think of the original which I still prefer even though they are two completely different animals.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Nolesrule, don't correct my statements.

If the newer TV series really did transcend the original then Universal would not be producing a new Battlestar Galactica Major Motion Picture based on the original 1979 series.

It's obvious that Universal doesn't consider the newer series a valid replacement for the original and that the reason Ron Moore was allowed to do the series was that Universal didn't think it would go too far. It's good quality science fiction but it's not Battlestar Galactica.

There have been only two of what I call the best of hard military sci-fi, the Battlestar Galactica Reimagining TV Series and Babylon 5. In that respect, the two shows stand side by side. However, BG fails on one front. The character development. It just seems like RM tried to rush too much development into the series.

Babylon 5 did this on a much grander scale, with a larger cast and put enough material and dialogue into the series where it stands on its own.

I won't dismiss the fact that Battlestar Galactica: Redux stands as a good science fiction series. But, as far as character development goes, it really does fail on some level. The series just tried too hard to break from the mold from the original series when it should have embraced it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You're more than entitled to your opinion* but that means nothing other than Universal is looking for a way to make more money.

* My opinion of the original BSG is that it's a silly, cheap cash-in on Star Wars mania.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I agree with TravisR about the original BSG. And the newer series took the concept to the next level. Actually, it kicked it up at least 2 levels.

As for the new BSG movie based on the original series, do you really think that if the SciFi series had been a failure they would have even considered it? Richard hatch had been pushing a revival of the original series on deaf ears for years. It's obviously just Universal looking to cash in on the name that is more popular than it ever was before Moore.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Here's where I have to respectfully say you don't know what you are talking about. The deal made when the new series was produced was that Glen Larsen retained the film rights to the show. Period. It is not a judgment call on Ron Moore's work by any measure. If a new movie is in the works, it is because the series was so successful that Larsen and Universal decided to use their film option and cash in on that success.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Cart before horse? A leak reported in February 2009 doesn't imply anything either way, since the final season was already decided as being the final season long before the Feb 2009 article; conversely, we have no idea when Larson and Universal started any talks about a film revival of OS BSG.

If anything, I would guess that it was the fact that new BSG was ending that would have inspired suits at Universal to talk to Larson (or vice versa), to see if more money could be made out of the franchise. New BSG was doing well enough not to warrant having its plug deliberately pulled prematurely just for the possibility of talking about making an OS BSG movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In a thread in the Movies section, someone claims that Universal denied a movie is in the works. Of course, that doesn't mean it is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks