What's new

Will Battlestar's Ending Dissuade You From Buying the Complete Series? (1 Viewer)

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I loved Battlestar Galactica (re-boot series) and couldn't wait to own the series on DVD when it would eventually come out as a "complete series" offering. But the ending to the epic series seems to be dissuading me from purchasing the series. I'd love to re-watch all episodes only if I liked the conclusion of the show. I found the last episode unsatisfying, rushed, and left too many holes. Let's face it, the punchline is paramount to a good joke; why not a good series. What are your thoughts on this?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Thought the ending was great. Your subject is a leading question.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if I'll buy the complete series or just 4.5. I have all of the other seasons. I thought the finale was great, so that really has no impact on my decision at all. I will own the whole series, I just don't know if I want to double dip for the "complete series" package.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was fine with the ending (but wondered about Odama's self-exile) and will be revisiting this great show in the future. I'll wait to buy the complete set on HD until such time, down the road, when it's probably discounted and I'm ready to watch it again. It's such a product of it's time, though (post 9/11 downer), that I will be curious how much appeal it will have years from now. It may depend on whether conditions in real life are as bleak or better.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The show's *beginning* dissuaded me from ever wanting to have anything to do with it (long live the original!)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Didn't you hear? That's one of the new changes in the complete series box set. The A in his name is now a big "O" in all audio and text appearances. I think it's a new federal regulation or something.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Ah well, at the risk of going off topic, I'm one of the (likely small) minority who thought the whole thing was over convoluted, pretentious, way too far up itself and completely over-egged the cod mysticism.

But then, I thought that Farscape was a load of complete bollocks, too. :laugh:

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I thought the ending was pitch-perfect, and I definitely want to watch the whole series from start to finish at least once more, so I'll be buying season 4.5 to go with the DVD other sets.

Watch it again, and again, especially in the context of the rest of the show. You may feel differently. Just saying...

Daniel-M

Second Unit
No, that it lacks "The Plan" and "Face of the Enemy" is why i am not going to buy the complete series

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Huh?

I can understand not buying the complete series if you already have the individual sets and just picking up the 4.5 release, but your reasoning doesn't make much sense outside of that context.

The Plan will be released at some point. It's not even going to air on TV until months after the release of the complete set. Who knows about The Face of the Enemy, but it won't be on the 4.5 individual release either.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I hear what you are saying Joe - to me the show lost its focus halfway through the third season. That and a 4th season that ignored addressing the core show mythology until the last handful of episodes has dimmed my enthusiasm for the series as a whole.

The series would have been near flawless if it had run for 3 seasons instead of 4.

Still it is a benchmark series and I will complete buying it.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Well, a big THANKS there Joe*A, for finally spoiling me with that thread title.

I've been waiting patiently for the final half-season to come out on DVD (I have no cable) - and know nothing about what it holds in store, but your thread title implies that there's some kind of problem with the way the series ended.

Just - thanks...:frowning:

Harry

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's six people who disagreed with that statement and one who agreed (and that person didn't even like the last season and a half of the show). You're never going to please everyone so I wouldn't worry about one man's opinion.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member

I agree with you on your opinions on the series of Battlestar, that sums up what I think about the series.

However, I disagree with you on Farscape. That series was better designed than the new BG was. With better quality shows such as Babylon 5, Farscape, Andromeda, Stargate ... all of those shows are just better than BG. This new series was just Moore's attempt to turn the thing into a formula franchise series with him at the helm.

I simply acquaint Ron Moore's treatment of the BG series with that or Rick Berman and Michael Pillar's treatment of the Star Trek franchise.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, don't get me wrong. It's a great science fiction series. But, it's not Battlestar Galactica. It's the same as how I feel about Tri-Star's Godzilla movie. It's a great film for an American Kaiju movie or a horror movie but it's not Godzilla.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I wouldn't mind seeing this start to finish (all I've seen is the mini series, which I thought was okay, but not BG), but where the show stops for me is the insanely high price of buying the complete series on Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks