What's new

Will a subwoofer make that much difference?? (1 Viewer)

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a mini system with front and rear speakers will a subwoofer make that much of a difference especially only an 8 inch one...They seem awfully expensive...is it worth spending the 400 dollars on it

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, a subwoofer will really make a difference, especially with a mini speaker system. I have a pair of Mirage OM-6 mains with built in powered woofer sections (150 watt amp powering 2 8" drivers in each speaker), which are no slouches on bass and I was quite surprised by the difference I heard in adding a single SVS sub. Obviously an 8" powered sub won't be quite in the same league as the SVS (which isn't much more if you can find an amp for it somewhere and don't mind a tall black canister), but with small speakers you're missing a significant part of the sound effects on most DVDs.
You didn't mention your speaker brand/model, but one thing to consider is whether they can cover down to 80 Hz, which is the standard crossover point for many receivers. Above that you start having more trouble integrating the sub so that it's not calling too much attention to itself, and can limit your placement options. If the sub has to reproduce 100 - 150 Hz info you can start having other sounds come from its location, which usually isn't good if that's nowhere near your other speakers.

Martice

Screenwriter
In my opinion Ryan they make all the difference in HT and with a mini system like yours, it will likely do the same. If you do not want to spend $400.00 on a sub, many people here recommend a Sony sub (I'm not sure of the model) that has a strong following. If you want a nice sub for about $116.00 shipped, you could go with the Part Express sub woofer. I just ordered and installed one for a friend of mine and it's really a nice sub for her small apartment.
Go to this link:
Parts Express sub
Good Luck

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yes, you'd be surprised how much a nice sub can add to the HT experience. The Sony referred to, I think, is the Sony SA-WM40, which I understand can be had for as little as $130. I've never heard it, but people on this forum state over and over that nothing in its price class comes near its performance. For $400, you're talking Hsu and Adire Rava, both of which would outperform the Sony significantly. Nonetheless, I'm going to suggest that you try out the Sony. Buy it from a dealer that will allow returns without a restock fee. Put on some of your favorite DVD's, video tapes, and CD's. Listen to them with sub off, then on. When you've done so, decide if the money is worth it. If you decide you want a sub, you might also want good cable for it. I don't know if the below linked Rhino cable will improve the sound of the Sony significantly, but I'm ordering for my currently in transit Hsu because I've read on this and other boards that the sound was noticably improved by the Rhino's.
Link: http://rhinocables.com/audio%20subwoofer_ic.htm

DanaA

Screenwriter
Ryan,
You're my lucky star. I have to amend my last post, as in the last few minutes my Hsu VTF-2 was delivered, at past 9:00 P.M., Pacific Standard Time, no less. Well, I got to go play. Good luck, but I'll have you know that my oak computer desk is shaking as I write. ;)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
YES. Huge difference. Go to your local dealer and suggest they let you try that $400 sub in your own house for a couple days. If you don't come back to the dealer smiling and with a check for $400 in your hands, I'll be awfully surprised.

As for your worries about the 8" woofer, I have a Mirage BPS-100 that uses two 6.5" woofers, Bipolar. I don't have the need for any more than that. I'm sure 8" will serve you just fine...trust me.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
A good sub makes all the difference. And for $400 the Adire Rava is a mighty good sub. If you've got a spare amp or receiver lying around, the SVS 25-31CS is outstanding.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
ryan,

at first i also thought that sub woofers are not that important and i tried to buy the cheapest and smallest about a year ago. anyway, i bought a 12 inch active sub and now i have the servo15.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Absolutely! An excellent sub can make the cheapest speakers sound much better. For a budget sub (i.e. under $200), go with the Sony sub. For a better one, it depends upon if you have something to power it with. If yes, check out SVS. If no, the Rava or HSU is for you.

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! for the input just in case someone is wondering I have the Sony Mini hi-fi system(MHC-ZX30AV)...I think I will go with the sony sub seems like a good price

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I can definately answer this question. Without NO doubt a subwoofer is a MUST! I am feeling the pain of no subwoofer right now. I blew mine out and they are repairing it. And I can't tell you how much I miss it. The impact of the movie is missing right now. I need it back, now! You should look into PSB subs, they make some great stuff and are very affordable.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I asked myself this very same question for a year before finally buying one. As a former skeptic I can tell you with 100% confidence...YES!!!!

If you don't want to blow a lot of cash and you're pretty much using the sub for HT, the sony is excellent. Model WAM40 or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks