Widescreen? Letterbox? Anamorphic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

ErikU brings up a question. Is there any difference in SIZE when watching WidescreeLetterboxAnamorphic?

Having a DVD player for less then a month now I have not found all the bells and whistles on my DVD player.

I watched a movie that was REALLY squeezed into my 27in Sony WEGA. I assumed this was just the first 2.35:1 movie I watched (which I find surprising).

Is there a setting where I can see 2.35:1 slightly larger?

I'm all for seeing movies how they were intended but 2.35:1 will mean we will move the couch a little closer for those movies.

BTW - the 2.35:1 was a Woody Allen movie and 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 FOR ME, would have been good enough.

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

3. Rod Melotte

Thanks - I WISH we had purchased a 32in Sony Wega 6 monts ago but at the time the $$ was a stretch. If only I had known I would win a ton playing online poker and thus could afford the surround sound system.
    Now I feel the need for a larger TV but can't justify buying ANOTHER one.
    Perhaps I'll put wheels on the couch. [​IMG]
    -----------------------------------
    BTW - I started with $50 playing Hold'm and my hi point was $2250. Don't try it with money you CAN'T lose and also know that I was pretty good before I entered the on-ine arena. Also note that I lost $1000 last month so a new TV is not in the future with gambling money.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    If your 27" is only six months old you may be able to A) return it for full value on a trade-in(ask your dealer) or B) Sell it on ebay for nearly it's total worth. Or you could move it to the bedroom or sell it to a friend. I think A) might work, especially if you bought it from a dealer that values repeat customers.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Rod,
    You might want to familiarize yourself with ANAMORPHIC and what it means. Everyone's replies have so far been dead on the money, however I'm guessing from how you used ANAMORPHIC in your subject and first post- it might be worth while to make sure you understand what it is and what it does/doesn't do.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html
    but since it is not an anmorphic image, if you squeezed it, it would look like
    [​IMG]
    -Vince

7. Michael Reuben

8. Rod Melotte

A few corrections.

1. It was not a Woody Allen movie that was "the problem" (however - I'll get to the however a bit later).

2. It was American Beauty (what a f*ck up movie that is). It seemed REAL slim to me. More then normal and I THINK I have watched 2.35-1 movies but perhaps not. I looked at T2 last night (2.35-1)and it didn't seem SO slim.

3. SQUEEZE mode on your WEGA? Do I have that? What's it used for (I have a 27in WEGA).

4. Perhaps I mention Woody Allen (it was Annie Hall) because I thought it was a little squeezed (more then normal).

9. Rod Melotte

10. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Why would anyone use that complicated service mode method when you can just enter the normal menu and turn the squeeze on? If there something special about this other service mode squeeze trick?

Todd

11. Michael Reuben

12. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Whenever I put the squeeze mode on the actors look like they are smashed (shorter). What's up with that?

13. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Kevin-

It sounds like you are squeezing a non-anamorphic source. You should only squeeze DVDs that are "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs," or other anamorphic material. DVDs that are not enhanced for widescreen will appear "squished" when you apply the squeeze.

-Chris

14. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

When I put the squeeze on while watching Pearl Harbor it looked totally unnatural (smashed).

15. Michael Reuben

16. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Michael, I will have to check my settings this evening, thanks for the response.

17. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have merged these two discussions on the same topic.
    Rod,
    Understand- that FAQ thing is a service menu function to get to the squeeze on older sets, newer sets have this function enabled from the remote or quick menu.
    It's possible you could put the "squeeze mode" on- either via the normal function or the service menu (which is only for older sets which didn't offer the squeeze as a feature on the remote)- on material that doesn't need it.
    When I said "accidentally" above- I meant that you could have put it on during material that doesn't need to be squeezed.
    I just meant to point out it was possible either you triggered it without knowing (on sets where it is easily accessible), or you knew about it and were using it by mistake on DVDs that weren't anamorphic.
    Normal 4:3 formatted programming (TV, Fullframe DVD) doesn't need the squeeze- and if you squeeze it, it will look squashed.
    Non-anamorphic DVD doesn't need the squeeze- it is formatted as letterboxed without anamorphic enhnacement- if you squash it, it will be squashing material that isn't formatted to be squashed.
    The only material that should be sqeezed is ANAMORPHIC DVD- and only if you player is set to 16x9 mode. The player will supply you, when you play an anamorphic DVD, with a pciture that is vertcially stretched- and you can use the squash mode to squeeze it back down to proper ratio and maintain the added resolution afforded to Anamorphic DVD.
    I would recommend reading up on Anamorphic DVD.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...c/welcome.html
    -V

18. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

19. Rod Melotte

Thanks - I'm doing this all from memory (at work) and since I borrowed American Beauty I can recreate the "feeling".

It just seen that American Beauty seemed VERY squeezed (long and narrow) compared to T2 and most other 2.35-1 movies I have watched.

This COULD be just the way I was feeling and a mirage of a memory. ALL I can remember is my wife and I both saying "WOW thats a slim picture!!" I love widescreen but this seemed silly. I did not know my 27in Sony Trinitron WEGAE had a squeeze option and would not be surprised if I click the setting without knowing what it was.

Now I have ANOTHER reason to wish this day would end.

There are so many tweaks between my DVD players sound options and my reciever sound options that it's rather daunting at times to know WHAT'S BEST. NOW I have to look into the video area :) I LOVE THIS STUFF!!