What's new

THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS on BD, when? (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
When is this really good movie based on a true story going to be released on Blu-ray? The movie stars Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas people with very different personalities who team up to try to kill two man eating lions. The lions were blamed for over 35 deaths mostly workers building a railroad. The US release was in the early stages of DVD and is "Letterbox". The region 2 DVD is anamorphic widescreen 16 x 9 very good for DVD's but a far cry from Blu-ray quality.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I agree. Just watching it tonight; I was shocked to find my region 1 DVD is not anamorphically-enhanced. This film is as good as I remember, with great characters, and is in dire need of a Blu-ray.
Ernest said:
When is this really good movie based on a true story going to be released on Blu-ray? The movie stars Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas people with very different personalities who team up to try to kill two man eating lions. The lions were blamed for over 35 deaths mostly workers building a railroad. The US release was in the early stages of DVD and is "Letterbox". The region 2 DVD is anamorphic widescreen 16 x 9 very good for DVD's but a far cry from Blu-ray quality.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Excellent music score too. I would buy this film, as with all true stories things have been changed for dramatic purposes.

Hopefully they will go back to the original 2.40:1 aspect ratio as the dvd is cropped to 2.00:1 and i would like a brand new film scan, if they use the old master they have then i fear the image quality will have baked in issues which are unacceptable for blu ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mark Walker said:
I agree. Just watching it tonight; I was shocked to find my region 1 DVD is not anamorphically-enhanced. This film is as good as I remember, with great characters, and is in dire need of a Blu-ray.
I haven't watched my DVD in a long time, so I didn't remember it was a non-anamorphic transfer. Then, we DEFINITELY need a Blu-ray upgrade!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sorry, nothing new to report, but I was just thinking I'd like to watch this again for the current Scary Movie Challenge. But I'm really disappointed that I'd have to watch the old non-anamorphic DVD.

This is another title I'm mystified that has never appeared on blu, given some of the titles that do find their way to the format. A horror/thriller with two big name stars, great effects, interesting plot based on a true story. This seems stuck in limbo much like Universal's Death Becomes Her was for many years.

Paramount has been the studio behind the theatrical release and the DVD release in 1998. Not sure why they're sitting on it. Seems like it would make a good title to get out there as part of a Halloween promotion.

Are there any boutique labels that handle Paramount titles that we could appeal to?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Don't know if this is viable for you Malcolm, but you can stream it in HD from Amazon Video for $3.99, or for free with a Starz subscription (there's also a 7 day free Starz trial available). I'd also love to see this film come out on Blu.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
There is a German BluRay release for this movie available on Amazon.de. When I checked it out I found it did not include an English audio track. The only audio track was dubbed German. Ghost.jpg

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
There is a German BluRay release for this movie available on Amazon.de. When I checked it out I found it did not include an English audio track. The only audio track was dubbed German. View attachment 34500
That's right, unfortunately. And it is not even safe if it will have the correct AR.

So we can still consider that there is no BD release of this film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks