What's new

Widescreen Advocate back online with new domain! (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
widescreenadvocate.org is the new domain for Widescreen Advocate. I am sorry that we were offline for so long, but I have gotten no responses from the e-mails and phone calls I made to Eric. He is the only one that is able to change the DNS info. So I registered a new domain. It is now active. Please update your bookmarks, or links to the site.
I have now fixed the News script. I will be updating other portions of the site later next week, with a new section to come soon!
Thanks for your patience.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Steve, I have already explained that Eric has not changed the DNS info to point to the new server, so I decided to purchase a new domain, in order to make the site available again.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
It might just take some time for the DNS changes to propagate down to your ISP's DNS servers.
Since this is a new domain and not just a new IP associated with an existing domain, once the root servers are aware of which servers are authorative for this domain (they are) there should be no delay since there is not an outdated cached entry that needs to be replaced.

If they were using the old domain name with a new IP address, then what you are talking about would happen because it takes time for the cached entry to expire from local DNS servers. How long the entry is cached depends on the person doing the DNS admin for that RR. The TTL (Time To Live) value tells other DNS servers how long an entry may safely be cached. So, until that TTL expires, the old entry will be cached. Most DNS admins set the value to somewhere in the 1-3 day range, but I've seen some with TTLs as long as 2 weeks!

The domain seems to be resolving correctly, and it was working yesterday for me, but now there seems to be some local server issues that need to be addressed (404 errors).

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
This domain is about a week old, and my host had the domain pointed at the wrong IP address on their network for several days, so your explanation in this case is not correct. Thanks for the explanation though.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
This domain is about a week old, and my host had the domain pointed at the wrong IP address on their network for several days
Ah, if that's the case then people are certainly going to be affected by what I described above since the incorrect information was cached by any DNS servers that attempted to resolve the zone while it was pointed to the wrong IP. Do you know what the TTL was set to?

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Josh, can you please post the IP of your main server so we can put it in our hosts file?

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Josh, can you please post the IP of your main server so we can put it in our hosts file?
I thought about posting the IP too, but after a couple of quick checks it looks to me like the site is hosted along with other sites using a single IP address (you can do that with Apache). So it relies on the domain name to correctly resolve. Try it: 66.227.81.214 -- nothing (unless of course my local caching DNS server still has the bad IP address cached!). Is that the correct IP Josh?
The primary DNS server that is authorative for your zone points to 66.227.58.82, which looks like your homepage.
root@darkness:~# nslookup
Default Server: darkness.twowiresthin.com
Address: 192.168.0.4
> server NS.JAGUARPC.NET
Default Server: NS.JAGUARPC.NET
Address: 66.227.56.27
> WIDESCREENADVOCATE.ORG
Server: NS.JAGUARPC.NET
Address: 66.227.56.27
Name: WIDESCREENADVOCATE.ORG
Address: 66.227.58.82
But the secondary server for your zone points to another address!
> server NS2.JAGUARPC.NET
Default Server: NS2.JAGUARPC.NET
Address: 66.227.63.0
> WIDESCREENADVOCATE.ORG
Server: NS2.JAGUARPC.NET
Address: 66.227.63.0
Name: WIDESCREENADVOCATE.ORG
Address: 66.227.81.214
Looks like the people running the DNS servers for your zone need to get on the ball! Issues.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
josh the link in your sig worked for me yesterday. but not today.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
My web host uses 2 servers for thier DNS, for redundancy. I am hosting 4 web sites on that IP, and my homepage is the main site. I don't know what the TTL is that your referring to. Hopefully the site will work for everyone pretty soon.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
John,
I didn't fully understand your post the first time around. The IP address 66.227.81.214 is indeed the old address, so at the time you checked, is appears that the second nameserver had not been updated yet. It should be updated now. If anyone still has trouble accessing the site, please let me know.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Same here.
Can use 66.227.58.82 to access Joshua's Place, but can't access widescreenadvocate.org neither directly nor from the link on Joshua's Place

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks