What's new

Why Video In/Out on Receivers? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why do many HT audio receivers have video in/out jacks? I've often seen this in the connection diagrams, but it seems like an unnecessary extra connection to me. I always just connect the video to the TV/projector.

Do some people really connect their video thru the receiver? Is there any specific reason/benefit for doing so?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Malcolm - I run by cable box and my upconverting DVD player straight to my TV as you do, but there are many good reasons to switch video through a receiver:

1. Reciever can upcovert the signal from Composite/S-Video to Component or HDMI
2. Consumer may have many video inputs requirements for devices such as DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, PS2, Xbox, etc
3. Consumer may have an LCD/plasma wall mounted, and doesn't want to run more than one video cable in order to keep cabling clean
4. Television or projector might have limited video inputs.. I've seen many LCD's with only a single HDMI and Component input
5. Simplicity. Some consumers prefer to control all of their video sources through a receiver.

With the latest high-end recievers now supporting 3 or even 4 HDMI inputs, I would definately consider inputting all of my future devices through a receiver.

DougR

Second Unit
I use my Onkyo 602 Receiver to switch everything. I run just one set of Component cables to my Plasma. With my HD Sat. Receiver, a seperate HD Receiver, and a DVD player component cables going to the Onkyo A/V Receiver.
See no difference in Picture quality,plus there's less wiring going to the wall mounted Plasma.
So much easier !! :)

jonny h

Agent
I like to switch the video through my receiver because it's one click on the remote and you're there... no macros, no extra buttons, no wrong inputs.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Many lower priced receivers offer component video switching now. In my case I need it because I have two sources that output component video and only one compenent video input on my television. My receiver takes care of the problem.

Seth=L

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wow! Thinking further about this after I posted the original question, I sort of figured those might be some of the reasons. Then perhaps this solves a dilemma I've been having recently.

I just got a projector and was having nightmares about having to run multiple cables from various players (DVD1, DVD2, LD) to the projector.

You mean I can connect all of these to my receiver (provided I have the inputs), then just run one component cable from my receiver to the projector? That will then allow me to access multiple video sources through the receiver and a single component cable? That would be perfect!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
What is the best output your DVD players have, Component?
Does the projector have component input?
What reciever do you have (make and model #) and does it have component video switching?

If you answer these questions I can give a direct answer on what you can do.

Hope I can help,

Seth

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Thanks, but it looks like it will take another receiver upgrade before I'll be able to get too streamlined. My receiver is an older, cheaper Sony STR-DE845 and has no component input/output capability, only S-Video. Until such time, I guess I'll just have to make do with one connection or a couple of separate cables. 99% of my viewing is via the one DVD player anyway. The second DVD is only for multi-region viewing and the LD doesn't get used too much anymore.

But thanks for all for the info and explanations. It certainly answered my original questions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks