What's new

Why S Video & Component Cables (1 Viewer)

JulioL

Auditioning
Greetings,

I have a JVC XV-D723GD and it's manual states that both component video and s video cables should be connected at the same time to a TV; otherwise, certain features may be unavailable. I'm trying to figure out exactly what features would be unavailable if only a componnent video cable was hooked up from the DVD player to the television set.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I've never heard of such a suggestion. My only thought is that its some sort of hangup with the progressive output, perhaps the player's menus (not the movie's) aren't capatible with the progressive scan output. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm off track.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
That is very strange since your TV is going to set to one or the other. I'd call their 800 number and see if you can get an explanation, if not than do some experimenting and see what happens with the S plugged and unplugged.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think this is because of the On Screen Display. DVD players and receivers will superimpose text/diagrams over the video while you are doing things. Most of these devices only put the OSD on 1 video output. Some of the nicer ones let you specify which one.

Thats the only "feature" I can see that might need both video connections.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I think the statement in the manual is that without S-video certain features of the TV may not work. I don't know what these are, but it is possible that there are TVs where the TV's menus, or vertical compression, or whatever, don't work with component video. Apparently, the JVC engineers have come across such TVs in their testing.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just connect component video and don't worry about S-video unless something is amiss on the TV.
Of course, when connecting a receiver to the TV the situation is different. It's very common for the receiver's menus not to work with component video. But the comment in the JVC manual is about connecting the player to the TV, nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks