What's new

3D Why keep fighting for 3-D, even if you're not a fan! (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Of course, there's a difference between the intensity of those who are interested, and the number of those who are interested.
Doesn't help that the outgoing format is completely incompatible with the incoming tech standard and is in fact a detriment to it altogether.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Maybe because, if you read the earlier thread posts, a few of us actually helped Jesse ratchet things back on his letter and got him on a more concise path so we'd like to see if the new revised version ended up working out or not.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Interesting, I guess it still sits awaiting more names. When are they presenting to LG? Seems they kept moving the target amount of names they wanted. So how many names will they need until they hand over the results to LG I wonder? Or has LG acknowledged it and dismissed it already?

I wonder if they can even authenticate the names? Seems to me that it would be quite easy for the devotees to create multiple user names to try to bulk up the petition.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Although this petition (I think by way of Change.Org) seems to have a strong number of supporters, it isn't large unless each signature translates into a 2018 model sale, and also represents many, many other 3D fans who just haven't run across it to sign yet. I don't know how LG might do the speculative math on that.

I'm going for a 2015 or 2016 LHG flat panel 65" OLED. It'll be my final display for the rest of my life.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So how did the letter writing campaign go? Did they reply yet?

They likely aren't going to directly reply to me, VERY rarely have I ever gotten any personal reply from letters I've sent but at least my opinions have hopefully swayed things in the right direction. I doubt many people take the time to write to manufacturers about TVs unless they have a specific problem with it not working, so if everyone who cares about 3D is sending them a letter they will have to see that there is at least SOME demand out there for it. Even if they're so closed-minded as to not read long letters all the way though, at least they'll see "3D" on the page enough times to get the gist of it.

Too early?? :huh:
3D at home pretty much started firing up around 2010-11. It's had almost 7 YEARS to try to take off, but by 2013 sales started their downhill slide.

Color TV took MUCH longer than that to really take off, likely surround sound has also (it's STILL likely that only a minority of people have a proper surround setup, yet they keep making those and putting the appropriate tracks on discs.) The general expectations for 3D were simply too high. But meanwhile they could STILL keep pushing it if they really wanted to- you can't buy a decent-sized TV without "smart features" even though not everyone uses those (and you can easily and cheaply buy external equipment that does that), so why not just put 3D into EVERY large or higher-end TV, at least more models than they had been? It likely wouldn't cost any more than other features that not everyone uses and doesn't impair 2D viewing at all. 3D has generally been something you've had to go out of your way to get, whether it's a TV equipped for it or a disc that includes it. That's not the way to get as many people into it as they wanted. I have a formal list of mistakes that both the hardware and software sides have made with 3D which I'll post eventually.

The thing that has me so upset about all of this though is that it's something I wanted to come along for a LONG time. Finally having it and seeing companies even THINK about dumping it now is just ridiculous. This would also be the first time that a large amount of movies out there will at least be crippled on future equipment, unless someone can find a way to add external equipment to display 3D on a set not already equipped for it (there was one already called VIP 3D but I've heard the quality of that is very bad.) ANY current display can still show HD-DVDs, Betamax tapes or RCA videodiscs as long as working equipment is hooked up to it, but most 3D discs won't play without a 3D display.

I learned in business classes that all companies have an intangible asset called GOODWILL- that means positive feelings people have about your company that will cause them to purchase more of your products. That asset decreases if you do anything to upset your customers, which in this case is killing off a perfectly good technology without an equal replacement. Going from 3D back to 2D is a step backwards, and there's literally nothing they could add to a future TV at this point that would make me want to replace my current one and give up 3D for- I'm also FAR less likely to pay premium prices for movies in 2D and won't be so eager to buy them on release day. That might actually be a good thing for me as I'll then have more time to watch the 3D movies I already have, but it won't be a good thing for the studios or retailers if they get less money from me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Although this petition (I think by way of Change.Org) seems to have a strong number of supporters, it isn't large unless each signature translates into a 2018 model sale, and also represents many, many other 3D fans who just haven't run across it to sign yet. I don't know how LG might do the speculative math on that.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't really considered - I'm not sure that there's any larger meaning or anything, but interesting to think about nonetheless. I'm not a frequent TV upgrader. I got my first HDTV in 2009, and the only reason I replaced it was because 3D wasn't a home technology when I got that set, and eventually it was. Getting 3D capability was the only sole reason I purchased a new TV in 2012. If 3D at home didn't exist, I'd still be using that 2009 TV today. As it is, my 2012 TV works, so I have no plans to upgrade. I will likely not upgrade until it stops working, whenever that happens. I'm a big 3D enthusiast, but there was no scenario for the year 2017 (outside of equipment failure) that was going to have me buying a new TV. I am not interested in purchasing a new television every couple of years. I will never be interested in purchasing a new television every couple of years. (That 2009 TV now lives in my dad's house, where it's frequently used and is still in great condition. So it's extremely likely that if 3D hadn't come along, I'd still be using it, meaning that I was eight years without a change of TV. As is, it's been five years since my TV purchase.)

One wonders how many people who like 3D are in a similar boat - all of their gear works fine, so replacing it just isn't something they think about. Or who thought maybe they'd get 3D one day, and have no idea that it's not currently an option. And yes, I'm sure there are a great number of people who are completely indifferent and who will never change their mind.

But I hadn't thought about that point that for a lot of people, buying a new TV is not meant to be a regularly reoccurring activity. I think in general, TV manufacturers are going to hit a wall if they expect the average person to buy a new TV every couple years.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So far the longest I've kept a TV was a bit over 13 years- a Mitsubishi 40-inch CRT which was the largest picture tube available, as I never liked the quality of projection TVs- it was my holy grail and I bought it when I came close to being able to afford it. They shortly stopped making them after I got it, with Mitsubishi then deciding to drop CRTs altogether and focus on projection, though Sony made a CRT in the same size a few years later. I had it from 1996 until January 2010 when I finally got my first HDTV- I would have upgraded to HD a lot sooner but I was mainly waiting for the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray format war to sort itself out first. If there'd been any broadcast HDTV I was interested in then I would have upgraded even sooner, but the networks have intentionally been ruining the picture with their logos always onscreen (thus negating the whole reason of spending money for better picture quality) so I wasn't going to buy into that. I was even without broadcast TV altogether for a few months after the analog cut-off, which was quite blissful- it was fun to flip through all the stations on my TV and get no signals except for a few low-power stations! :)

I expect a lifespan of at least 10 years out of any TV I buy, but since 2010 I'm now on my FOURTH TV mainly because the first HD I got (from Vizio) was such a dog- it got ruined after a firmware update and the company refused to even acknowledge it. I bought my first Sharp 3D TV then, but had the Vizio not crapped out I would have kept that at least until last year when I graduated college- even with 3D out- so it was sort of a happy accident that I got a 3D set when I did. I'm now searching for a job that pays well enough for me to move to a bigger place, at which time I was then planning on upgrading the TV to a bigger screen with better 3D being the most important features. Since the news broke in January I ended up doing that much sooner, hence why I felt letting LG know about this was important- though they said "3D wasn't a major factor in buying decisions" it WAS the major factor in mine, as I wanted to get it while it was still available!

This concern is mainly for the LONG-TERM though- as I mentioned before it won't be good if future displays won't be able to play 3D discs, even if no more are ever put out. There are several titles that are historically important, such as House of Wax and especially the 3D Rarities disc, plus Avatar is at least one modern title that should always be viewable in 3D. If my current TV dies in 10 years and I'm forced to replace it with one that can't display 3D, I'm going to be VERY bitter if I look at my 3D discs on the shelf and know that I can no longer watch them because we once HAD this great technology but it was discontinued simply due to lower than expected demand. On the other hand if 5 years from now they make an even BIGGER TV that I can afford with 3D and OLED and whatever other new technology they might come up with, I'll be eager to hand over a few more thousand dollars.

Being able to play my older material is SO important that one reason I held off buying a widescreen TV for so long was that I wanted one that could display 4x3 material properly- I hated the grey side bars most early widescreen displays had, I waited until they could make them black with no potential for burn-in and that's what I got.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Talking about 3D being outgoing tech, for some of us 3D has been a fascinating interest for a long time in my case nearly 50 years even making my home made 3D adapter unit for back then a Super 8 cine camera. Oh the fun of it all and can confirm 3D will not be departing here anytime soon.

Its funny I know but I still like throwing a Betamax or Laserdisc signal up the Video projector every now and again just for sheer nostalgia. We've even shown films here in sections using the various formats used over the passing years.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
By 3D being the "out going" tech by manufacturers, it gave me a chance to just now buy a 3D TV LG 55-inch off of Craigs list for $400. I feel the time is about right where people will be moving up to new tech, and it will give myself and I'm sure others a chance to enjoy what most here have had for the last few years. The "trick" is finding the movies I want that are not being sold anymore at least in the states. My Marvel 3D movies I just got are all from the UK but region free.

hetaanma

Auditioning
Real Name
Heta
I'm of the same opinion of the guy who said he wouldn't buy another TV until 3D is reintroduced. I basically only watch TV for 3D at this point. Is the petition still going on?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks