Why is my TV flickering?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NickSchmidt, Oct 3, 2002.

1. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

I have a 27" flat screen Toshibia analog TV and a Philips Q35 Progressive scan DVD player hooked up to it with an RCA-brand S-video cable. For some reason in bright scenes I've noticed that the picture flickers on DVDs. It happened in Monsters Inc. and I thought it was just the movie. But now I'm watching Saving Private Ryan and it's starting to flicker as well. What's the deal?[​IMG]

2. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Sound like a loose connection on the S-cable,the sound is probably vibrating the cable ,it happened to me, took a week to figure out , hope this helps.

3. Brad Hood

Brad Hood Agent

Nick, I relize that this post is now 6 months old, so I guess you've either fixed this problem or returned the Q35 by now. [​IMG]
    At any rate, I had exactly the same problem with the Q35 and Monsters Inc. For some reason the player has trouble reading the flags on this disc.
    If you go into the source menu and switch it to "Film" instead of "Video" or "Auto" the flickering goes away.
    Hope this helps you or someone else having the same problem.

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Is this a problematic player? It seems pretty solid from a feature point of view.

I have an opportunity to pick one of these up for under $50 today and am seriously considering it. Your opinions are welcome.

TIA,

Matt

5. Brad Hood

Brad Hood Agent

I've not had any problems with mine other than the above mentioned flickering, which is easily fixed in the menu.

It converts PAL to NTSC, and I've hacked mine to multi-region. It's my second player, but multi-region capability makes it worth at least $50, I would think.

I guess this thread ended up being in the wrong forum, because the problem is the player and not the TV.

Brad

6. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

You've got mail [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Matt