What's new

Why is it that Debra Messing is always ..um.. chilly? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that actresses often apply to ice to their nipples before jumping in front of a camera. Don't think for a minute that entertainment types aren't above that. It's like having unnecessarily high skirts or low-cut blowses. Or a woman just happens to be in her underwear when the scene begins, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with the story. Oh golly, what a coincedence.
That chick is beautiful, though.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I remember when we watched the show being taped 1) She only weighed in at about 110 lbs. or less 2) She always put a coat on during the times she wasn't under the lights.
I think having no body fat what so ever gives her nothing to keep her warm during shoots. It does get cold in the studios but if she gained a little weight she wouldn't get quite so cold.
Parker

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Looks like I got into this conversation a little late!
laugh.gif

You guys, I don't know what to say about you.
laugh.gif

And if I want to keep my job on Will & Grace, I will not comment on this topic. However, I will say with confidence that you are not going to want to miss the upcoming special one-hour Thanksgiving episode. It was a bitch to make but extremely well written. More stars than we've ever had before: Blythe Danner, Beau Bridges, Helen Slater, Kenny Mars, pretty much everyone that you've ever seen on the show except for Sydney Pollack and Gregory Hines. And Megan has a scene that you guys should be talking about for a while :wink:

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
What's your job there David?
Parker Posey was on last night, her part was wonderful. Any plans to have her back in the future?

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I have heard of no current plans to have her back. By the way, I don't really know her. What else has she done?
I am the First Assistant Cameraman on "A" Camera (there are 4 cameras working on the show).

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Parker has done a bunch of films, mostly independent stuff. She has been in Christopher Guest's two films, Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show. Those are the things I know her best from.
So your job involves a lot of staring at Debra Messing? Cool!

Don Black

Screenwriter
David,
I've got a lot of questions for ya! =)
1) How much do cameramen and asst. cameramen make?
2) Do cameramen only work on one show?
3) Who are you guys hired by? The production team or the distribution team?
4) What the heck is the difference in between the production studio and the distribution studio?* (This is a big question I've always had not just for movies but also for TV)
5) When a new show gets picked up for another season(s), do the set designers "fix-up" the set and make it more expensive/permanent? I always wondered if the Cheers bar was reinforced after the first season.
Thanks!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Wow, let's see if I can remember all of these:
1) Well, I cannot tell you how much I make on Will & Grace, but I can tell you that our "rate" is garnered by the Hollywood Cinematographer's Guild, Local 600 I.A.T.S.E. If you are not a member of this guild, you cannot work on union shows. I've been a member since 1987.
2) Camera personnel typically work on 2 shows if they can get them. We are only needed for the camera blocking day and the shoot day, so typically, a show for us will be Mon/Tue and Thurs/Fri. Our deal is set up so that both shows pay us for Wednesday, called a "Carry Day", even though we don't work that day. Each day is a 12 hour gaurantee, even if we work less. That 12 hour gaurantee consists of 8 hours straight time and 4 hours at time and a half. Currently, my Mon/Tues show is Will & Grace and my Thurs/Fri show is According To Jim.
3) Neither. As a camera team, we usually go with our DP as it usually is in features. If a producer hires a DP, they are also hiring the DP's entire crew. A DP (Director of Photography) is usually loyal to his crew. And I'm very pleased to announce that this year's Emmy for cinematography for a multi-camera show went to Tony Askins, ASC, for Will & Grace :)
4) I've never thought of Distribution as being a "studio". They are simply companies that are sub contracted by the studios to handle distribution. I don't know that it really applies to us. Our production studio for W & G is NBC Productions. I don't know who the heck distributes us but once we go into syndication, the distributor will probably change.
5) To my knowledge, nothing is done to a set to make it more secure for future seasons. In fact, a set needs to be ready to tear down from week to week. Last week, our set people completely broke away Will & Grace's apartment and Grace Adler Designs to build Jack's father's hotel room and Grace's parent's house for the upcoming one-hour Thanksgiving show. These mainstay sets go away at the snap of a finger to make way for new sets when the space is needed.
I hope I've for the most part answered your questions. But feel free to ask away. I'm willing to share (almost) anything with the HTF :)
[Edited last by David Tolsky on October 28, 2001 at 01:19 AM]

Don Black

Screenwriter
Interesting! I never new that permanent sets (e.g., W&G's apartment) were also disassembled.
What's the room for advancement when it comes to camerawork? Do you guys go on to become DPs?
Thanks again for the info!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
There really is no such thing as a "permanent set" on a sitcom as I mentioned earlier. Of course, there are sets that are "mainstays", as in the apartment and Grace Adler Designs.
Camera assistants do go on to become DP's. It happens a lot in one camera features and m.o.w.'s. Many of todays top DP's will tell you they got started in the loading room of a major studio, loading film magazines for the shows. They worked their way up the ladder, learning as they go. In camera, the ladder goes like this (in case you are interested) Film Loader> Second Assistant Cameraman> First Assistant Cameraman> Camera Operator> Director of Photography.
Now, in multi-camera sitcoms it is a lot harder to move up the ladder. Why? Because these are the jobs that everyone wants. In sitcoms, you get to have a life, raise a family, have a house, and occasionally get to go home and see your family! If you want to get into this business, you had better think long and hard about it first. You must accept the fact that you will be spending more time with your crew family than with your real family. In sitcoms, you get to spend more time with your real family because there is rarely any location work involved. You go to the studio, put your hours in and go home. Now, it's hard to bump up because guys aren't ready to leave a good thing. Operators stay operators for a long time and many choose to end their careers that way. Some First Assistants also choose to become lifetime First AC's. I have my eye on operating but a lot has to happen for me to move up.
Cheers,
David

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
"Lisa Kudrow seems to be immune. "
"Not last night Mind you they were only DRLs"
Brent L
Brent L, or anybody else. What are DRLs? Thanks.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Stacy, he's making a headlight reference. Apparently Lisa Kudrow's weren't too perky, so they were only DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) not full on headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks