What's new

Why I Love DVDs (1 Viewer)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
OK guys,
I have a modest DVD collection/library, whatever you want to call it. I love the idea of having many of my favorite films/TV shows at my fingertips. But yesterday afternoon, I really realized why I love owning DVDs so much. DVD is the first format that has allowed me to own so many great films. And because of that, yesterday was possible. My wife's parents and her grandmother were over at our house. My father-in-law was looking at a problem with my wife's car and my mother-in-law was playing with our new little baby. My wife's grandmother (who is well into her 80's) looked very tired and just worn out. My wife asked her if she wanted to watch a movie. "Sure," she reluctantly said. My wife started naming several titles to her, and she just kinda sat there, still looking tired and uninterested. My wife said, "How about Singin' in the Rain"? Her eyes perked up, and she said, "Yah, that sounds good." As she began watching the classic musical, her whole countenance changed. She smiled, laughed and it just seemed to brighten her day. They had to leave before it was over, and I just had to break my rule about not lending out my discs. My wife gave it to her and told her to enjoy it. She just smiled. :) It was amazing. Watching her watch that film was great. I was so happy that I had that available. Sorry if this is kinda off-topic or boring, but I was so excited to see my wife's grandmother so happy. Anyone else have any similar stories? I'd love to hear them!

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Good stuff, Zack. Over in the Star Wars thread on the Movies forum, David Forbes talked about how his young son was standing up and rooting for Luke in the final scenes, which made it even more fun for David to watch his son enjoying it than to watch the movie itself.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Really? I'll have to pop in there and read that. That is awesome. My son is 6 months old and I cannot wait to enjoy some classics with him. I can only imagine his face enjoying Pinocchio or Star Wars! Good stuff, indeed!

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
My three year old daughter is really getting into Star Wars. (Or "Dunh-Dunh" as she calls it (hum the first two notes of the Imperial March and you'll know how to pronounce it)

We've watched A New Hope twice now it's been a blast seeing her get excited about it. According to my wife, she talks about it all the time and is very interested in all the characters; which is made even better 'cause we have the action figures.

I just hope the enthusiasm lasts. :)

A word of warning for you parents, the Return of the Jedi has some pretty scary moments (the Rancor being chief among them) which might not be appropiate for little ones. (Learned that one the hard way -- at least she saw that Luke got away...)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
That was a great story, stuff like that just makes me love the art of film and it's formats.

Ryan

I had to look up countenance, heh.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I just watched "Bad Santa" with my 81 year old grandmother. (She loves Billy Bob Thornton). She was in tears from laughing so hard! I had seen it twice before, but I laughed even harder this time, as her laughter was so infectious. The last time we laughed this much was when I took her to see "Something's Gotta Give" at the theater.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Haha.. I love the idea of owning all the movies I loved and conitnue to love to share with my kids. I'm getting marriend next year, and my fiancee is one of five very well spaced kids. I can't wait until I can watch "South Park: BLU" with her now 13 year old brother who can't wait to see it... and I just watched "Star Bars" (as he calls it) with her five year old brother. As a Disney fan, I can't wait until my own children get to share classics like Snow White and Dumbo, that I Shared with my dad as a young kid, and I certainly can't wait to see how a kid with my genes will react to Monsters Inc. and The Iron Giant... of course, I will probably be well into HD-DVD by the time I have kids, but the great thing is most of the DVD's I have now look great on my 110" screen and sound great, and since they never wear out I'll always have them around to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks