What's new

Why does there seem to still be a limited amount of vinyl in stores? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My two turntables are a Technics SLQ350 (something like that. Has a "dog collared" plate and a strobe..) and a Dual 1218. I've fixed the Dual more times than I can remember(the tone arm returning to rest wouldn't stop it from spinning. You'd have to unplug it from the wall. Common problem).Thinking of retiring the Dual, next time it flakes. Got my eye on a Sota.I was there on the last day Ear-Xtacy was open in Louisville. Sad day when it closed.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Reed Grele said:
attachicon.gif
SONY_PS-FL9.jpg

I just dusted off my old eighties Sony PS-FL9 linear tracking player. Last time I used it was over 10 years ago. At that time, the tone arm was getting sluggish, and would just stop moving after playing one track.

Did some Googling last week and found out why (a $3 rubber belt). Found a place online that had fresh stock, downloaded a service manual (free), and replaced it myself. Now it's working like new again. :)

The thing is built like a tank, and will probably still be working long after I'm gone.

I still have well over 500 soundtrack, and various other LP's, some dating back to the late fifties. I'll give some a listen again soon. I may even transfer a few that aren't available on CD yet.

At 59, my hearing is probably too shot to be able to really appreciate a fine, virgin vinyl pressing anymore, so I won't be losing much by making CD's, flacs, or even MP3's.
My first separates where Phase Linear over 30 years ago (when I was 3 years old of course :lol: ) and I had a beautiful Phase Linear 8000 II linear tracking turntable.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Dug out my old Vinyls after I bought a new turntable... God how I missed the crackle. I have been shopping on Ebay and have some pretty good deals. I also went to my local Hottopic and they have a small collection of vinyl, but they have the type of music I like so it is pretty good in that respect...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks