What's new

Why do some justify their posts with one of the following... (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
IMO
My .02
Just my take
IMHO
I have even used these from time-to-time, but I wonder why. When a person posts, we all know that it is nothing more than their opinion. So why the clairfication?
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

Yeap, I'm bored at work.
------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
IMO....
laugh.gif
I think your assumption that we all know that our posts are opinions isn't always true. Some people tend to take things the wrong way so it's just some added ammo for when things get out of hand.
My 2 ce...erh nevermind.
:)

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Man, you are even more bored than I am.
biggrin.gif

I think it is for diplomacy people just trying to keep flames to a minimum. IMHO.
Kevin C. :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It is sometimes difficult to discern tone from written text.
I like to use "IMHO" or smileys to ensure that what I'm writing is not taken the wrong way.
When I joke, my humour tends to be of the dry variety and could easily be taken as insulting if I didn't use smileys.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
[Edited last by Rain on November 09, 2001 at 06:19 PM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Emoticons are sometimes good to use because we are conversing in a medium that eliminates face-to-face discussion. Emoticons can be used properly if a post is of a satrical or joking nature, but could be interpreted the wrong way by the reader. Despite this, the use of emoticons is sometimes excessive. I see them in posts when they aren't necessary and I see them used excessively by certain people.
Using "IMHO" or "IMO" is superfluous, not necessary and annoying. As Ron said, of course statements are opinion! The reader doesn't need to be told "IMHO."
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I would have to agree with Ron that in general the use of the following,
IMO
My .02
Just my take
IMHO
is rather useless simply because as readers we should be able to discern when an author is stating an opinion and when he or she is stating a fact.
I remember a long time ago that another forum member took me to task because I didn't use IMO. Of course I replied with basically the same thing I stated above. In my opinion, I don't think he got it. :)
Ok I couldn't resist.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
is rather useless simply because as readers we should be able to discern when an author is stating an opinion and when he or she is stating a fact.
But, if you are ignorant of the facts (which is often the purpose of posting here, no?), how will you discern between the two?
Todd

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
I have considered this before from the same logic, but then I realized that it's not used to indicate to others that it's just your opinion.
It's used to indicate to others that you understand that they have possibly extremely varied opinions from yours and that the particular subject at hand relies much more on opinion than fact or widely popular opinion.
Another time they aren't used are for things that may have no "factual" backing and might not even be 95% agreed opinion, but when the subject is highly personal and felt with strong conviction.
For example, you are less likely to hear "Pro-choice is the best, IMHO" or "Pro-Life is the way to go, IMHO". Usually people discussing subjects that they are more sensitive about and/or perhaps they feel ARE based in some fact are not toned down with the acknowledging "IMHO", even though it's still really just ITHO. :)
IMHO sort of works like "but I'm willing to listen to other opinions".
biggrin.gif

It and smileys also work as supplements for aural tone that is lost with online communication. Just try getting sarcasm across to someone on the net.
------------------
Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
But, if you are ignorant of the facts (which is often the purpose of posting here, no?), how will you discern between the two?
Regardless of their prior knowledge a person who has good critical reading skills will be able to discern between facts and opinions.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, I could always end my posts by saying...
Everything I just said, that's the way it is, it's fact, take it or leave it!
wink.gif

------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'll use those phrases to mean "That's my opinion. Take it or leave it." also, i do like using the emoticons if i'm really "passionate" about whatever i'm typing.
most of the "regulars" understand how it "works" here, but i'd say that some new people may not. because of that, i think it helps for them to see that what's being said may (or may not) be an opinion.
emoticons are also helpful. as stated, sarcasm is very difficult to get across. without emoticons, i know i would have interpreted some responses to my posts as aggressive. they can also help keep a post friendly.
besides, i think they're kinda fun!
biggrin.gif
(you know i couldn't resist...)
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Well, in my opinion, I think that IMO is used to sometimes verify a harshly stated opinion that some people may seem to take offense to OR (and this is just my opinion) IMO and the like may be used to verify that it is just their opinion. But that's just my opinion. IMO.
Do I have anything real to say here? No. But, again, that's just my opinion. IMHO.
Sorry, I couldn't resist using humor to justify the fact that I have nothing to say, in my opinion. But, isn't that what I just said ('cept different) above? Well, that's just my opinion.
god, I'm bored. My wife kicked me off the Home Theater so she could play Shenmue. One of the many reasons why I love her, in my opinion. okay okay okay, I'll stop clogging up post space.
Edited to say: This is all just my opinion.
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on November 11, 2001 at 08:19 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks