What's new

Why did you all hate rock star? (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I thought nothing was wrong with this movie.

Granted, I'm a huge metal fan and a zakk wylde fan *black label society baby*, but still the movie wasn't that bad

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I bought rock star mainly because I like markie mark and the twelve bucks was a good price, but the movie was pretty decent, by far not the best movie I have seen this year but no where near the worst. ninety minutes of decent entertainment.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
It wasn't close to being bad, but it isn't exactly inspired, either. Once the movie begins, you know percisely where the next turn is going to take you. It's all sort of been here, done that. For a more unpredictable, exhilirating, moving, and journey of the self rock movie in 2001, try Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I liked it, but I also like "hair rock" and other 80s rock music. Interestingly enough while the 90s gave us Grunge, that has faded and most of the current bands sound more like 80s rock.

That aside, the script for the film was pretty lukewarm at best, and the writing for the fictious band 'Steel Dragon' was perhaps a fourth as good as the writing for Stillwater in Almost Famous. The movie was what I thought it was, basically, though it gets extremely melancholy after Chris/Izzy leaves SD.

My favorite part is when Chris auditions for SD, then when he does the first show. Those two scenes make the movie for me. When he was with Jennifer Aniston before going up, then while riding the elevator up to the stage ... good. Very good.

todd stone

Screenwriter
I liked the slow motion scenese where izzy realizes the mistake he has made in his life decision

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It's a well-made film and some decent acting.

The problem is a rather simple script. Just nothing really gripping to it. Didn't take advantage of some potential drama at some points.

However, there was some montage work that was pretty well done and some other decently directed moments. Just not enough life to the script itself.

Solid film, nothing great.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw it at the theatre, and it literally gave me goosebumps during the concert sequences. I LOVE hard rock/metal music, and it captured PERFECTLY what it feels like to be in the crowd pushed up next to the stage. Anything that captures the aura of this great time in music has a special place for me. Additionally, I like Mark Wahlberg, and Jeff Pilson of my favorite rock band, Dokken, is in it!
My DVD is on its way. :)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I disagree with the comment that bands today are back to sounding more like the 80's metal sound. I'm affraid, even to this day, that Grunge and other bands from the early 90's killed Heavy Metal/Hair rock and I'm not sad to see it go. I do listen to 80's stuff now and then for nostaltic reasons but I'm glad it's gone.

Jeff

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the movie just fine for the most part, but there were a couple times where the exact same thing was happening to Wahlberg's character as happened to the original singer. That made me cringe - I don't need to be hit over the head that hard.

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator
I LOVE hard rock/metal music, and it captured PERFECTLY what it feels like to be in the crowd pushed up next to the stage.
Agreed, the concert scenes did give me that old feeling you can only get at a Rock concert.

I rented this one after reading some negitive reviews, but I really enjoyed it. Two viewings in two nights, I'm picking this one up for keepers.

I also thought Wahlberg did a fine job in the film. Brought back memories of old high school friends that were just like that Izzy/Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks