What's new

Why are there seagulls in the Rockies? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
When I moved from coastal California to Boise, one thing I thougt I would be leaving behind were seagulls. I'm not an expert so I may also include terns, bitterns, and other sea birds in the loose expression "seagull".

But to my amazement there are tons of these guys flying around here. Boise is at the edge of the Rockies, and is about 500 miles from the Pacific.

What the heck are they doing here?? :confused:

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
The word "seagull" has no scientific meaning- the correct name of the bird is just gull, and they are found around the entire US and many other places, not just by the oceans.

How come they have Denver omelets outside of Colorado?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Very unofficial answer here.....gulls are both coastal and inland birds and there are dozens of types of gulls. Seagulls is sort of like a generalization in that there really isn't any such thing as a seagull per say as they're all some type of Gull, ex; a Western Gull a Pacific Gull and so on.

They're carnivores and scavengers that can pretty much live anywhere the climate suits them provided they can find food..and while I'm pretty sure most gulls nest in coastal areas, they don't need to live in those areas.

We used to have tons of Seagulls here, and while we still have a lot of them, we have many more Canada Geese. For some reason, they've found a year round home here and actually nest along our highways occassionally crossing highways and bringing traffic to a complete halt.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Might want to cut that signature image down Bobby, it's far too large. The HTF rules give maximum dimensions.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Don't know, consult the HTF rules about maximum image dimensions. My post was just a heads up anyway.

CJ

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Still too big.

Per HTF: If your signature includes just an image, it should not exceed 125 pixels tall and 425 pixels wide. If your signature includes a mix of both an image and text, keep the image under 100 pixels tall and 425 pixels wide with only 1-2 lines of text.[/quote]

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
We got shithawks...err... seagulls here in landlocked Alberta too.

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Kind of like asking why there are rats everywhere you go. If they can survive there, they will (and flourish.)

Seagulls can fly hundreds of miles without landing, CA to CO is a cake walk for them.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I live a few miles away from the Gulf of Mexico, and I rarely see seagulls...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks