What's new

why are sonys overpriced? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
Re sony tv's really worth the extra money? i mena they are always overpriced. just look at there crt HDTV, the 36" 510 is $1799
most other brand 36" HDTV are less then that.
My brother is getting a new tv. he has ALWAYS gotten sony products and he is saying he has to go with sony. i tried to convince him that sonys are overpriced and there are other brand that are as good, if not better then sony.
Arent toshibas the best?
I bought a JVC 36" HDTV over the summer and i could have sworn mine had a better picture then the sony.

so is it me or are they overpriced??

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I too feel the same way as you but I also have to say that I think their "XBR" sets do stand out & they should for what Sony charges for them.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i have never seen the xbr tvs so i cant comment on them.....i am just talking about there standard HDTV line.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I haven't really compared their HDTV's but when I do get one I can tell you I will first be looking at Toshiba's, JVC's & Panasonic's & maybe even Samsung's before I ever go near any Sony's. The biggest thing that turned me off of Sony beside the price a few years back was if there so good how come they only offered a 90 day labor warranty and Samsung, JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic & etc offered a year labor warranty?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I currently have a 61" (analog) Sony TV and the picture is excellent and I have not had a single problem with it during the four years I have owned it. I recently had an ISF tuneup and the tech guy said I have a very good picture compared to most TVs he sees.

Next year I want to buy an HD set and I am strongly considering Sony again.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
what do u mean sony offers 90 day warranties. It might be different for tube based tv but my kp-43ht20 has a 1 year warranty straight from sony. Actually in about a week that warranty will be up. Still looking good and still running strong. I also got my tv a year ago for $999 at hhgregg. Couldnt beat that price. It was either the 30inch samsung widescreen hdtv or the 43inch sony 4:3 hdtv. I picked the sony. I think i chose right.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not sure as to RPTVs, but Sony is able to charge a premium for their direct view, CRT TVs because they have consistently been at the forefront of picture quality for at least 20 years.

When I was in the market for new TVs a little over a year ago, I thought that Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba all made direct-view sets with very fine pictures—indeed the Panasonic was perhaps as good as the Sony. All three had 34”models that were within $100–$200 of each other. Overall I thought that the Sony had more overall versatility than the competitors—but if one did not care if they had (for example) a DVI interface, I think that anyone would have been pleased with any of the sets.

For my bedroom set, I chose a 30”, Samsung—a fine picture at a very attractive price. Differnt choices for different uses.

In sum, I don’t think that the XBR800 was overpriced—at least compared to the competition that matched its picture quality. The newer XBRs, look even better. I would not use the term ‘overpriced’ discussing these sets, but if you don’t care about some of the features, other choices might well prove to be better.

BTW, I had a year’s warranty on my set. I’m not sure where the 90 days comes from, unless it refers to the direct return to the manufacturer.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Yes, I was talking about their tube sets.
Example:
JVC 27 inch Flat Tube AV-AF44 on sale here for $277.00
Sony 27 inch Flat Tube FS100 on sale here for $389.99
JVC 1 Year Labor Warranty Sony 90 Day Labor Warranty.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
There was an article on Sony at www.zdnet.com a couple of weeks ago that mentioned this particular issue. It seems that Sony has a pretty high debt ratio in comparison to most of it's competitors. Sony's purchase of motion picture companies, record companies, etc., along with it's employee compensation package is to be faulted for their being higher priced on most of their products than their competitors. Sony is definately in a crisis, and the article went on to say that Sony is trying hard to find new ways to compete since they can not do it on price anymore. Believe it or not, Sony's main competitor in the TV market is surprisingly, Samsung, that is according to the article. The Sony price issue is especially true in their computer line. Their VAIO computers use the same components (off the shelf) as other PCs, but they are consistently several hundred dollars higher in price. In a way, you ARE buying for the Sony name and paying for it's high debt ratio. I have nothing against sony BTW and they DO make excellent products.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just wondering, What electronics corperation is the biggest in the world? I known Samsung is huge the GE of Korea & I read around 7 years ago that they were building an auto plant in Korea I wonder whatever happened to that? Maybe their just not importing cars to the USA? It took Daewoo long enough before they entered the USA, maybe Samsung scared them into a new market :D

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jack, Yes, but is the Sony Corperation worth more than Samsung or MicroSoft that's why I asked coperation not company. Maybe it's even GE? Maybe I should have asked which corperation that deals in consumer electronics has the most money!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks