What's new

Why are Paramount's Blu-Ray Covers Too Long? (1 Viewer)

Samcor

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Cockayne
This may seem really trivial to some people but I've noticed a strange consistency among a number of Blu-Ray titles in my collection. It really struck me the other day when I received my copy of Beowulf from Amazon. On removing the shrink-rap my first impression was 'darn it, another warped cover'. What I mean is, the paper coverart is bunched with permanent large crinkles in it. It suddenly occurred to me to compare it to the others that had a similar problem. Lo and behold they were all Paramount Blu-Rays:
Beowulf
Mission Impossible 1
Mission Impossible 2
Tomb Raider
Sleepy Hollow

Why were they bunched? Well when I removed the coverart from one of my perfect Warner Blu-Rays and placed it on top of the Beowulf cover, the answer was obvious. Paramount's covers are consistently too long.

Why is that?

I've got two theories:
1. Blu-Rays sold in other countries use fatter cases requiring slightly longer coverart. Paramount are using the same size coverart across the board instead of producing shorter versions for the US editions.

2. The width of their Blu-Ray covers matches the Width of DVD covers. Is this perhaps some form of cost cutting? Using the same width roles for printing?

At any rate it sucks. You pay good money for a Blu-Ray disk, case and all and receive it with packaging that lacks care. As a collector it ticks me off. I think they should get their act together.

Thoughts?

On a side note Mission Impossible 3 has the correct length for its coverart but one should note that its printed on a thicker form of card than the standard covers.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I noticed this too. I believe the problem stems from them switching Blu-ray Disc case types but not taking into account that the length of their inserts might be too long for the new style.

I had this issue with Top Gun, and when I switched to a 'Sony'-style case it fit fine. The Sony-style case is what Paramount originally used. Incidentally, I'm not sure what style of case they are using now. It looks like a 'Warner Bros.'-style case, but it is a bit different.

I didn't notice this as much with Beowulf, and, of course, my Sleepy Hollow was purchased way back when Paramount was neutral so it had the old case style to being with.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I noticed this with Cloverfield, and actually trimmed a bit off the cover art so it would fit snugly in the case.

Totally agree with Paul that Paramount's inserts seem to be have designed for the other style Blu cases.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Unless this is strictly temporary - for a brief time, someone should complain to Paramount. It looks way tacky and should one go to resell at some point can bring down the price unneccessarily.

Saving money by using up the stock on an insert that clearly doesn't fit many of the cases you utilize currently for your releases and in the process seriously marring the packaging is really bad business in my view.

Assuming Paramount is listening one would hope they would halt this abasement of their product NOW.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Ah, so that's the problem! I thought it was too thin and cheap paper stock, causing them to look moisture damaged. It's done it on two of my Warner titles, too (THE DEPARTED and THE FOUNTAIN) but virtually all of my Paramount ones. Looks like ass; I'd be ever so delighted if they got it worked out...

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.

Way to go Yumbo! I guess that's what we should do for now. Thanks for idea.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks