What's new

Why am I getting logged out more now? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Over the past week or so, I have occasionally been logged out when I have come to the HTF, even though I have not logged out to end the previous session. Just tonight, I was perusing the Audio/Video Sources board and walked away from the computer for about a half-hour. When I left the computer, I was logged into the HTF. I left the Audio/Video Sources board on my Internet Explorer window, and when I came back and clicked "Refresh", I was logged out. Wha' happen? I never used to get logged out. :confused:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Keith:

Check your options in the User Control Panel in the Edit Options section and make sure that you don't have Browse the board with cookies option enabled. If you do it will keep you logged in for so long and then cut you off when you become inactive for a period of time.

Parker

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Parker, that was the problem. I have no idea when I and why I would have enabled that feature. Oh well. Problem solved. Thanks!

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I had (And still have) the same problem, disabling cookies didn't help at all.

I have to force a refresh every few minutes when I'm reading a long thread or use the preview post often when typing a long message to avoid getting my last-read pointer screwed up.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Martin:

Make sure you have the Automatically login when you return to the site enabled and the Browse the board with cookies disabled. Then log out and back in by clicking on the Log Out at the top right on the main page of the forum and then log back in by typing in your username and password. This will delete your old cookie, set you a new one, log you in each time and not log you out on exit.

Parker

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Well, it still does it.

Well, my problem is with the fact that if I don't do anything for a long time, my "Last Read Pointer" (The point in time where envelopes become Yellow) gets reset to "Now" or something close which makes it harder to know if a thread is new or not (And the go to first unread post is now unusable)

Whether I use Cookies or the s=xxxxxxxxxxxxx param in the URL, I still get the same result. It seems to be a session problem on the server, the sessions are invalidated too quickly (I develop JSP apps so I know a bit about this) so if I spend too much time in a thread, or writing a message, my session dies and my pointers are moved. Regardless of where the "Session ID" is stored (Cookie or URL)

That is what I meant.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Martin:

Well, the cookie timeout interval is 20 minutes so I if you are staying in one thread (this is remaining inactive) for more than 20 minutes that would explain how all of this is getting reset your for.

Parker

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Ok, but then even if I disable cookies I get kicked off after that 20 Minutes of Idle. I usually hit F5 or press Preview Post to keep that from happening but it's annoying so it would be great if something can be done to avoid that.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Martin, have you tried deleting the cookie from your hard drive, manually? Maybe HTF is still looking for it anyways.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Martin:

Well there is nothing I can do if you don't have any type of cookie being used either as one stored to "remember" your last time and visit or the one that just keeps the cookie enabled while you are browsing and deletes the cookie when you leave the site.

So if you have both the "Automatic Login" and "Browse This Board with Cookies" turned off then it time issue isn't with the site it is something else.

The most start forward way of controlling your messages that are getting marked as being read is to enable the "Automatically Login" and disable the "Browse this board with cookies".

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks