What's new

WHV Press Release: SORCERER (Blu-ray Book) (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've mentioned before how much the widescreen image tells you more about where you are. Here's a screenshot of the first frame in Paris from the old 4:3 DVD:
vlcsnap-2014-04-28-19h11m43s71.jpg
In this frame, you can see at the extreme right some kind of structure in the distance, but it's difficult, if not impossible to recognize it. In the widescreen image on the Blu-ray, it's clear that the structure is the famous Arc de Triomphe. (I don't have the ability to post the Blu-ray screen capture).

Now, imagine watching this film on the early HBO showing where I first saw it, and there were no place-name subtitles, so the film simply jump-cut from the Middle-east bombing to this scene in Paris. On first showing, I couldn't tell WHERE the heck it was taking place until some dialog appeared giving a clue to language. The first section in Vera Cruz was basically unidentifiable other than by the style of the music playing in the background.

I was so happy that the LaserDisc added the place-name subtitles. It made the film that much more accessible.

Harry

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Just out of morbid curiosity - not that anyone would want to hold onto it - but does anyone own the "new" WB DVD that ports the old Universal transfer, and could they give some more details on it? I.E., is it a complete port in that it copies the entire Universal disc, w/ trailer and production notes still on the menu, or is it just a featureless presentation like the Blu-Ray that is only presenting the old cropped-for-TV transfer Universal prepared?

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Sorcerer came winging its way across the Atlantic in record time and the taxman paid no attention to it, just like cinemagoers back in 1977 which is when I first saw it. Watching it last night, I think now what I thought then - it's a very European movie, not unlike Frankenheimer's French Connection II in approach, and as a comment on First and Third world economics it has something to say. The problem is that for a thriller it is un-thrilling, totally lacking in tension or suspense. All it has is an unrelenting bleakness which isn't what audiences liked then or even now, certainly not in a big Hollywood movie. And that title was a big mistake, a HUGE mistake which must have accounted for a large percentage of the film's losses at the box-office. At least Friedkin admits that.

I thought Sorcerer on Blu-ray looked and sounded wonderful in every respect. It had a kind grainy, dirty and noisy quality you get with some Euro-art movies of the time, notably those by Herzog, which seemed to have been shot on 16mm. The greens of the jungle are what jungles look like and I also liked the monochrome look to the bridge crossing sequence, though I did wonder why the guys didn't wait until daylight or for the rain to stop. I also wondered why they needed the trucks at all - a helicopter shows up at the end.

If I wanted to be cruel I'd say Sorcerer came across as one of those Top Gear films without the humour or the jeopardy. However, I greatly value this Bu-ray and thank everyone involved for making it happen.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
AdrianTurner said:
it's a very European movie, not unlike Frankenheimer's French Connection II in approach, and as a comment on First and Third world economics it has something to say. The problem is that for a thriller it is un-thrilling, totally lacking in tension or suspense.
I would not disagree with it being "very European" in the way Friedkin approached it because after all it was inspired by a European film. On top of which the American directors of that period were all quite inspired by European films. As far as it not being "thrilling" I'd say that's a matter of opinion and the film to me is loaded with tension and suspense...as those trucks made their way through the jungle it seemed you could cut the tension with a knife it was so thick. The bleakness of the film is part of why the tension works because it imbues the film with a real sense of risk and possibility of failure. These men are not heroes and we know they are expendable and we learn in the film that they send two trucks because the odds of them making it are so slim.

I suppose you could argue that you do not care for or about the characters because they are all "bad" men but I think the film does a great job of drawing you into their predicament and so you really want to see how it turns out.

AdrianTurner said:
though I did wonder why the guys didn't wait until daylight or for the rain to stop. I also wondered why they needed the trucks at all - a helicopter shows up at the end.
Both of these items are explained in the film. One they are working on a time limit and two early in the film there is a scene where they discuss transporting the dynamite by helicopter and the guy says that it is too risky and none of the pilots will do it no matter how much money they offer.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
AdrianTurner said:
And that title was a big mistake, a HUGE mistake which must have accounted for a large percentage of the film's losses at the box-office. At least Friedkin admits that.
The film was titled WAGES OF FEAR in the UK (I saw it when it opened in London) but I don't think the title change helped the film at the UK box office!

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Bob Cashill said:
Confusing that they would rename it after its source.
I think it was original supposed to have the same name as the original and was renamed to its American title later on, wasn't it?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I just want to chime in - this has been sitting on my couch like so much fish for a couple of months now and I finally watched it. Didn't care for it when it came out - I was a big Wages of Fear fan and this one just felt bloated and unnecessary to me. But time has been more than kind to it and it's compelling viewing now, especially compared to most of today's tripe.

As to the transfer - superb in every way. I don't think it's "over saturated" one bit - the color is perfect. All one need do is look at the skin tones in any scene in the film or simply look at the other colors in a sequence where someone has alleged the color is over saturated.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
What did you think of the added gunshot / car blowout sound at the very end of the picture?
haineshisway said:
I just want to chime in - this has been sitting on my couch like so much fish for a couple of months now and I finally watched it. Didn't care for it when it came out - I was a big Wages of Fear fan and this one just felt bloated and unnecessary to me. But time has been more than kind to it and it's compelling viewing now, especially compared to most of today's tripe.

As to the transfer - superb in every way. I don't think it's "over saturated" one bit - the color is perfect. All one need do is look at the skin tones in any scene in the film or simply look at the other colors in a sequence where someone has alleged the color is over saturated.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Friedkin's revisionism bothers me but I was expecting some giant room filling blast, not the little squib we get.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
To remove ambiguity without making too much of a big deal about it. I'm still not sure (spoiler) why Newark goodfellas would travel to the ends of the earth to exact vengeance for a comparatively trivial offense--seems to me they'd have been better off milking Scanlon for his talents, or wait for him to show his face again in a more hospitable place.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Since the digi-book is OOP, I wonder if Warner will issue it in standard packaging in the U.S.?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Supposedly they are, along with others like Citizen Kane. I got mine from Canada was about what it would be here so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks