WHV Press Release: SORCERER (Blu-ray Book)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

68651_large.jpg

SORCERER

MAKES LONG-AWAITED DEBUT ON BLU-RAY™ APRIL 22

William Friedkin’s Lauded Film Now Newly Remastered,

with 40 Page Blu-ray Book

Burbank, Calif., January 6, 2014 – William Friedkin’s Sorcerer, the cult suspense thriller that has been largely overlooked since its 1977 release, has now been acquired and fully restored by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and will make its Blu-ray™ debut on April 22, 2014. The release, also available on DVD, will be packaged as a 40-page Blu-ray book filled with beautiful images from the film and excerpts from the book, “The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir.”

Sorcerer is derived from the same Georges Arnaud novel that inspired Henri-Georges Clouzot's 1953 French classic, The Wages of Fear. The film, made following the successes of Friedkin’s The FrenchConnection and The Exorcist, tells the story of four men who, for various reasons, cannot return to their own countries and end up in a dismal South American town where an American oil company is seeking courageous drivers willing to haul nitroglycerin through 200 miles of treacherous terrain. The four displaced men have nothing to lose so they agree for a small payment of cash.

Roy Scheider (Jaws), Bruno Cremer (Under the Sun), Francisco Rabal (Dagon) and Amidou (Ronin) star in Sorcerer which Friedkin directed from a Walon Green (The Wild Bunch) screenplay. The haunting music was the first credit for Tangerine Dream, the German electronic experimental band who went on to provide many successful scores for such films as “Risky Business,” “VisionQuest” and “Catch Me if You Can.”

Over the years, awareness of the film has been steadily building as a result of Friedkin fan requests and newly-found praise from critics[1]. Then last year, the director was asked to introduce Sorcerer for its screening at the Venice 70th International Film Festival where he was presented with the Golden Lion Award for Lifetime Achievement.

In a recent L.A. Times interview, prior to the Venice Film Festival, Friedkin offered some theories as to why the film may have failed to achieve commercial success when it was initially released:

"The only known actor, who was not a major star, was Roy Scheider…and people didn't really understand the significance of the title [the name of one of the trucks] -- they thought it was a film similar to 'The Exorcist.’ [But most importantly], the film came out just after 'Star Wars,' a movie that became the template for the future of American film, which it basically still is.

“I have a great fondness for Sorcerer, more than any other film I’ve made.. Sorcerer is the one I hope to be remembered for and the one film that came closest to my vision.”

The film has been remastered by Warner Bros., under Friedkin’s supervision along with colorist Bryan McMahan who has worked with the director since 1994. "The new restoration makes the film appear as if it was just made. None of the essentials — the clothes, the hair — are dated in any way. It looks the way it looked to me when I looked through the lens of the camera," said Friedkin.

The restoration began with a 4K film resolution scan of the original 35mm camera negative. 

Ned Price, Chief Preservation Officer of Warner Bros. Technical Operations, who oversees restoration projects for the studio, said, “I was amazed at the brilliance of the original photography. Up to this point, I had only seen poor quality 35mm theatrical prints made from inferior subtitled dupe negatives. Working from the 4K scan allowed us to free up all the information contained in the original negatives.”

The soundtrack was restored from the original 35mm 4-track stereo masters which were in remarkably good condition and contained full dynamic range.

The new restoration allows audiences to appreciate the true visual and aural impact of this film.

SORCERER BLU-RAY and DVD

Street Date: April 22, 2014

Order Due Date: March 18, 2014

Rating: NR

Feature Run time: 121 mins.

BR Cat/UPC 1000445651/ 883929387762

BR Pricing: $27.98 SRP

DVD Cat/UPC 1000443949/ 883929383047

DVD Pricing: $12.96 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

[1] Among them: Peter Sobczynski,,eFilmCritic.Com; Brent Lang,,The Wrap; Nat Segaloff, Harvard Film Archive..

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Preorder today.  Amazon preorder prices tend to go up after initial posting.

Cine_Capsulas likes this.
  2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Day 1 buy for me blind. I've wanted to see this film for a very long time, but wanted to see it properly done.

3. Cine_Capsulas

Cine_Capsulas Second Unit

Gustavo H. Razera
  4. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Never seen this movie, though based on its popularity, I will buy it blindly.

I always thought for some reason that this was a Universal release.

In any event, I know how much HTF members have been wanting this Blu-ray
    and I am very happy to see it finally getting its due release. I can trust that
    Warner will do a beautiful job with this.

5. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    It was produced jointly by Universal and Paramount. I guess it's Warner's now through their distribution deal with Paramount.

6. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Okay, so my memory isn't as hazy as I thought. I just remember seeing the
    Universal logo on this.

I tell you, I am quite happy that Warner is handling Paramount's library. Not
    certain what kind of treatment Paramount would have done with this on their own.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Nice to see this released, I'll be waiting for a sale though.

8. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Day One. Been waiting for this for YEARS. And how great to see it in Warner's hands.

Oh, the hell with it. This calls for a :rock: !!!

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Looking forward to seeing it again. I don't think I've seen it since it premiered.

10. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Certainly all in on this one. Great film and probably will be like seeing it for the first time.

11. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Played this at a theatre I managed. Checked out the print before opening day and was blown away by it. The tension in some of the scenes was chair gripping. Day one buy for me also. Wish the film had done better box office. It deserved it.

12. Don Crouch

Don Crouch Extra

Don Crouch
    can't wait!! looking forward to Harris' comments as well!!

13. Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski Second Unit

Noach Kowalski
    [​IMG]

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I've never seen this, but I've been waiting a long time to do so. I want to see how it compares to "Wages Of Fear".

15. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I think the way it shakes out is that Paramount will continue to handle theatrical bookings - the new DCP will be getting screened in advance of this release - and Universal will ultimately get TV rights to this restoration.

16. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    68651_large.jpg

Now Available For Preorder
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Preorder today. Amazon preorder prices tend to go up after initial posting.

17. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Is there another film called "Catch Me If You Can" That TD did the score for? I think that's a great typo if not...

18. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Had to look it up, but yes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097029/combined

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    TravisR and JoHud like this.
  20. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

That would be weird given that WB just dumped the DVD down to "Archive" status just last year… except that they're doing the same thing with GET CARTER, which I never thought we'd see in hi-def.