What's new

WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
weren't we also supposed to get Warner's 3D Bugs Bunny "Lumber Jack-Rabbit" as a bonus on the landmark first one, to keep that 1954 vibe going?
The Bugs Bunny 3-D cartoon was released in late September 1953 and played most engagements with Warner Bros. 3-D western, THE MOONLIGHTER.
Warner Bros. released a standard 2-D version to theaters on November 13, 1954.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Hmmmm.... I hope that listing "Preview Version" under special features for Strangers on a Train doesn't mean it's only a SD extra. You'd think it would be easy enough to branch for the full feature in HD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I missed this the first time I scanned the press release, so it bears repeating:

Said Jeff Baker, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog,

“...We’re hoping Dial M for Murder is the first of several classic 3D films to be released, with the long-awaited, much requested “House of Wax” expected next.”

And I don't even own a 3D monitor. I do have a PS3 - any quality 3D front projector's out there?

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Wow!, just wow! Can't believe the floodgates opened all at once for Hitchcock, not that I'm complaining. Super excited about getting Dial M in 3D and I don't even have a 3D setup yet, but we are slowly moving in that direction so it's awesome that this will be waiting for, or "taunting" me to upgrade sooner. After Hondo not getting 3D it's nice that WB didn't make the same mistake. Expensive but awesome second half of the year.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Exellent news about Dial M! I am looking forward to this title on blu-ray! The 3-D aspect is a delightful bonus. I guess I will finally get a 3D player to go with my 3D capable TV. :)
Strangers on a Train is another delightful bonus!
Since these 2 titles were a part of a DVD Hitchcock box set called the Hitchcock Signature Collection from 2004, perhaps some of the other titles in that set will surface soon? Mr and Mrs Smith, I Confess, Stage Fright, The Wrong Man, Foreign Correspondent, Dial M, Strangers on a Train, Suspicion and North by Northwest are in that set.
I must confess I bought that set mainly for Dial M, Strangers and Suspicion. I already had North by Northwest at the time, but didn't mind the extra copy! This is pretty neat, later this year, many of the titles, if I am not mistaken that are part of the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection DVD box set from Universal will finally come out on BD too.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/321724/whv-press-release-dial-m-for-murder-3d-blu-ray-and-strangers-on-a-train-blu-ray/30#post_3941254
Since these 2 titles were a part of a DVD Hitchcock box set called the Hitchcock Signature Collection from 2004, perhaps some of the other titles in that set will surface soon? Mr and Mrs Smith, I Confess, Stage Fright, The Wrong Man, Foreign Correspondent, Dial M, Strangers on a Train, Suspicion and North by Northwest are in that set.

Warner no longer has the rights to Foreign Correspondent. The Caidin Trust/Westchester Films licensed it to Criterion a couple years ago (in the same deal that brought Stagecoach to Criterion). It's been on Criterion's Hulu channel for some time. A Blu-ray/DVD release from Criterion is probably inevitable, but only they know when.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brandon, I forgot about Criterion having Stage Coach. I'll pick that up during the Barnes and Noble yearly Criterion sale

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
JoHud said:
Did not expect to see Strangers on a Train too. Happy to see it released. Dial M for Murder was telegraphed well ahead of time, but its still pleasing to get a locked release date.
Very interesting to see how WB is marketing these. Dial M for Murder is given a striking horror/slasher sort of cover art and aesthetics, while Strangers on a Train is being portrayed as a spicy noir. While not exactly honest portrayals of either film, at least some effort went into the cover art on these, unlike the super-generic Little Shop of Horrors cover.
Question about Strangers on a Train--are both cuts (preview & theatrical) on the disc? I can't find mention of it in the press release.
The preview version is included as a bonus feature, but I'm not sure it it's in HD or what yet.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Bob Furmanek said:
weren't we also supposed to get Warner's 3D Bugs Bunny "Lumber Jack-Rabbit" as a bonus on the landmark first one, to keep that 1954 vibe going?
The Bugs Bunny 3-D cartoon was released in late September 1953 and played most engagements with Warner Bros. 3-D western, THE MOONLIGHTER.
Warner Bros. released a standard 2-D version to theaters on November 13, 1954.
Yeah, but meant, as big symbolic stunt of "Warner heartily endorses vintage 3D, and here's our marketable corporate icon to prove it!" on the first 50's Blu3D's?
The exec definitely said there was a B3D version in the works, but didn't say with what, and wouldn't wait up nights for The Moonlighter just yet.
Guess it's coming with Wax, which they thought would pull in more of a "culty" Bugs audience, but putting it with Dial M would've been a good "Vintage night at the movies" touch.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
They've also got POPEYE, ACE OF SPACE in the vaults. That was the first 3-D cartoon designed for 1.66:1 widescreen.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Brandon Conway said:
I missed this the first time I scanned the press release, so it bears repeating:
:rock:
And I don't even own a 3D monitor. I do have a PS3 - any quality 3D front projector's out there?
Projector Central has reviews of 3D front projectors.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Furmanek said:
They've also got POPEYE, ACE OF SPACE in the vaults. That was the first 3-D cartoon designed for 1.66:1 widescreen.
Given that its not clear whether Warner will ever again release a classic 3D title in 3D, it would have been nice if they had put that and Lumberjack Rabbit on this as extras. BTW: Do you need a special 3D blu disk for a 3D transfer? Could they put a 3D title and a 2D title on the same disk?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes /t/321724/whv-press-release-dial-m-for-murder-3d-blu-ray-and-strangers-on-a-train-blu-ray/30#post_3941333
Could they put a 3D title and a 2D title on the same disk?

Yes. Warner has done it several times with their IMAX documentary releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3f82e92a_3D_animation-2.gif

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
Brandon Conway said:
:rock:
I have a JVC I'm very happy with. 3D has to be seen BIG to really work in my opinion.
I'm SO excited this has finally been made official - it's been hinted at and promised for a couple of years.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am so excited that 1950's 3D are finally being released. I hope Dial M exceeds Warner Bros expectations and that it will lead to additional films such as House of Wax and Kiss me Kate. Hate thinking about buying a new TV but if these come out I may just do that.
Is it too early to start hoping Amazon has a fantastic Black Friday deal on the 15 film Hitchcock Box Set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks