What's new

WHV Press Release: Dial M For Murder (3D Blu-ray) and Strangers On A Train (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
albeit in a “faux 3D” 70 mm composite print.
I actually saw this film in the theater, but it must have been this strange print. I remember it looking rather strange - like watching flat items at various levels - like moving color form characters. It is kind of hard to describe - but there would be a chair in the background that looked like it was projected on a flat screen, 6 ft behind the actors, instead of a real chair.
I'm hoping that this release does not have this issue.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I literally started bouncing up and down in my chair at work this morning when I read this. This is exactly why I bought a 3D TV and a 3D Blu Ray Player. Don't get me wrong. Adventures of Tintin and Hugo are great, the Marvel superhero movies look decent, and I'll likely get Avatar if it ever gets a regular release. But the classics of the 1950s are my biggest interest and DIAL M is a top five for me. I've seen it four times in the movies in 3D--twice in single strip, twice in dual--and can't wait for it to get here. Best thing of all? It comes out less than three weeks before my birthday. Happy Birthday to me from Warners! I will likely pre-order it the minute the button goes live. I may even go as far as to write a thank you letter to WHV for putting the 3D Blu out.
Hey, Bob, any chance of Dragonfly Squadron getting an October release? That would be a fun double feature for me. :D

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Actually the DMFM cover is very similar to the cover of one of the VHS releases using the same still. But to me it's the most gorgeous cover I've seen all year. :)
BTW, Bob, did you know that Swank in the early 1980s had anaglyph 16mms of HOUSE OF WAX and DMFM? Apparently the color turned on them all, but they did exist at one point!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I always liked this one.
c1e380ae_dial_m_for_murder_xlg.jpeg

But the new cover looks good.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Wow! Wonderful news!!!! Looking forward to picking up both of these titles!!

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I realize this is likely a rather dumb question, but was the 2D version also recently remastered or was this only for the 3D version? If it's only the 3D version, then no sale for me as I have no 3D gear nor am I likely to upgrade anytime soon if ever to 3D.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Doctorossi said:
2D is included, as well.
I understand that it's included. What concerns me is the idea that the 3D version may have gotten a very nice remaster while the 2D version could potentially be an old, outdated master.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Edit: Nevermind. I should have known better that to try and beat Mr. Furnanek to an answer. :blush:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
As in theaters when the films were new, either side can be run as a perfectly normal flat film.
As an example, the new HONDO Blu-ray is the left side.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
DialM1954-WB-still.jpg

Wonderful news.
The unrestrained enthusiasm in this thread is what makes HTF a fun place. Passion and enthusiasm, that's what I like to see. I'll bet it's reflected in the sales, too.
Bob Furmanek said:
YES! I've been aware of this project since September, 2011. You don't know how difficult it's been keeping quiet about it!
We won't hold it against you.
Bob Furmanek said:
The success of this release will be the impetus for more Golden Age titles from the vaults. I plan to buy three; one for each dimension.
Me too. That's a good idea. One copy to watch incessantly. A second copy for a backup. A third copy for the personal archive.
Bob Furmanek said:
Isn't that a stereo Realist camera Alma Reville is holding?
Where do you find these images.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I've never seen a 1954 poster for DIAL M FOR MURDER with a 3-D blurb on it.
DialM1954-WB-insert.jpg

DialM1954-WB-poster.jpg

DialM1954-WB-three.jpg

DialM1954-WB-half.jpg

1982 re-release posters have the blurb:
DialM1954-WB-1980quad3-D.jpg

DialM1954-WB-1982one3-D.jpg

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
There's no mention of the films format. I'm worried. I hope Dial M is in widescreen as intended, and not cropped 4/3. Or... maybe the 3D is in widescreen, and the 2D version in 4/3?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
See post 1, 14 and 30 in this dedicated Warner Brothers thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/314286/warner-brothers-3-d

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by dvdvision /t/321724/whv-press-release-dial-m-for-murder-3d-blu-ray-and-strangers-on-a-train-blu-ray/60#post_3941439
There's no mention of the films format. I'm worried. I hope Dial M is in widescreen as intended, and not cropped 4/3. Or... maybe the 3D is in widescreen, and the 2D version in 4/3?
Bob said he provided Warner with 1.85:1 documentation a year ago. I don't see why Warner would ignore him, so it should be 1.85:1 (or technically 1.78:1, since that's what Warner does for matted widescreen films). The 2D version will be the "left eye" of the 3D, so by necessity it will be the same AR as the 3D version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks