What's new

Whoo Hoo New Home - New HT Area (1 Viewer)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I'm getting a new house in July. My home theater room is going to be 19' wide by 11' deep.
How do you design good speaker placement for a room so wide? The door & window are on the wide walls.
Also, if I ever get the money, would a 65" TV bee to much for sitting between 8 - 10 ft away?
I have the Klipsch Reference series as my speaker system, and the Sony E9000ES as my core HT processor.
Thanks
Tom
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...
I would definitely put the TV and speakers on the 11' dimension, and have the sides of the room as the 19' dimension. Would help with some of the acoustics and depth for the surround speakers. Probably could have a couple rows of seats too with fewer seats in each row since you won't have much "shoulder" room.
TV
--
| |
| |
| |
--
instead of
TV
------------
------------
Forgive me for the crudeness of my "sketch."
Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Head over to Link Removed
They have a home theater under construction that's very close to your dimensions. They did a two tier seating arrangement and it looks nice and cozy.
The only difference was the front projection system instead of an RPTV. A very viable option.
You can get some great deals on the Sony 10HT 16x9 LCD projector (since the new 11HT is on its way), and make your own 16x9 (1.78:1) screen (as a temp solution). With a grayish screen color, some known service menu tweaks, and strict control over the lighting in your room, you can get a stunning picture for the money.
A bigger bang vs. the buck againsts a fixed sized rear projector most anyday. And you don't have to lug the darn 250 pound thing around.
Need some help, just ask.
Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
For the window side-- good light black-out drapery material is a must and a bit of fancy velvet framing to get rid of light spill through from the sides of the drapes might help too.
The door might need to be replaced with a heavier one with weather stripping besides room sound isolation and acoustic treatment (how is the room situated to the rest of the house-- in the basement, next to a living room, how many shared walls, how high is the ceiling, etc.?). It all depends on how sophisticated you are willing to go.
You could easily do a 100" (and just maybe 110") diagonal front screen with 1.78:1 ratio with something like the Sony (I used that example since it's fairly cheap considering it has a 16x9 panel, accepts HDTV signals and 480p DVD players, and you don't have to get an anamorphic lens since it doesn't use a 4:3 ratio panel).
Dan
------------------

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I hadn't thought about the projector route. that might be easier to convince the wife of.
The window is unfortunately right where the projector would need to project. But I probably can find something a little more asthetic than a big sheet of plywood nailed over it from what you are telling me. Plus on those nice spring days (that are already gone) I could open up a window and let air circulate through the house.
This room is over the garage, and has no shared walls with anything other than the outside of the house. The roof is a bit curved in at the top due to the roof from what I can see.
Unfortunately, it's not finished yet so it's hard to figure out what it looks like. I've had to work with the builder a bit because they keep telling me I have to have a closet for 'salability' after the fact. But I at least got them to recess a small one over teh garage instead of wasting valuable space in my room for it. i think I'm going to have to step back, reality check, and wait a while before doing anything. But at least I have a dedicated room now.
I mean, if I were to go nuts on what I need now, I need a fish tank, a home theater, a car for the expectant wife that only has a two door.
Need to prioritize a bit.
hehe
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Again, I could not suggest putting the TV or screen on the wide wall. Talk about a weird configuration.
biggrin.gif
Go for a HT room long and narrow vs. short and wide. The acoustics, not to mention the speaker placement, would be horrible.
If you notice in that hometheater link I gave you, that's how they configured it.
Dan
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks