Whoever owns EL NORTE.... please release it!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The following is a quote from a Roger Ebert-authored essay about the upcoming University of Illinois Film Festival:

Gregory Nava and Anna Thomas will observe the 20th anniversary of their great film "El Norte," about two Guatemalan Indians who journey north to Los Angeles. They were Oscar-nominated for their screenplay

Isn't it about time we got this on DVD? And, as all the studios so love their anniversary tie-ins, what better time than now?

Superb movie, wa-y-y underseen.

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    I second the request for El Norte.

I think the VHS (was there a laser release?) release, from way back when, was CBS/Fox.

According to IMDb, it's got quite a convuluted theatrical release history. It seems Island Alive, PBS, and American Playhouse produced/distributed here in the states in 1984.

There is also a 2000 theatrical re-release date, which is credited to Artisan. I sure hope Artisan has nothing to do with a DVD release of this film.

Jon

3. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Artisan had intended to reissue the film, but it never actually happened. At one time, Artisan had intended to do a reissue on 3 John Sayles movies as well, but that was cancelled too. (The three films were subsequently picked up by IFC Films and released on video by MGM)

I suspect the film is in a limbo right now, although a few entreaties to IFC and MGM may not be a bad idea, seeing how there's precedent.