What's new

Whoever owns EL NORTE.... please release it!!! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The following is a quote from a Roger Ebert-authored essay about the upcoming University of Illinois Film Festival:

Gregory Nava and Anna Thomas will observe the 20th anniversary of their great film "El Norte," about two Guatemalan Indians who journey north to Los Angeles. They were Oscar-nominated for their screenplay

Isn't it about time we got this on DVD? And, as all the studios so love their anniversary tie-ins, what better time than now?

Superb movie, wa-y-y underseen.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I second the request for El Norte.

I think the VHS (was there a laser release?) release, from way back when, was CBS/Fox.

According to IMDb, it's got quite a convuluted theatrical release history. It seems Island Alive, PBS, and American Playhouse produced/distributed here in the states in 1984.

There is also a 2000 theatrical re-release date, which is credited to Artisan. I sure hope Artisan has nothing to do with a DVD release of this film.

Jon

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Artisan had intended to reissue the film, but it never actually happened. At one time, Artisan had intended to do a reissue on 3 John Sayles movies as well, but that was cancelled too. (The three films were subsequently picked up by IFC Films and released on video by MGM)

I suspect the film is in a limbo right now, although a few entreaties to IFC and MGM may not be a bad idea, seeing how there's precedent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks