What's new

Blu-ray Review A Hard Day's Night Blu-ray Review (2 Viewers)

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Vahan_Nisanain said:
And the group spent two weeks in America doing five performances from February 7-21 (2 for Ed Sullivan on February 9, 1 at Washington D.C., 1 at Carnegie Hall, and 1 for Ed Sullivan in Miami), and 1 week recording songs for the film from February 25-March 1. They recorded 9 songs for the film, and 6 of them made it there. You Can't Do That was cut from the film, and Long Tall Sally and I Call Your Name were on the Long Tall Sally EP. They eventually recorded the title track on April 16.

Filming started on March 2, and ended on April 24.
Your post implies (at least to me) that they recorded the songs for the film in the U.S. That is not the case. All the songs were recorded at EMI. And I think your dates are incorrect. According to my notes, most of the songs for the movie were recorded on March 4, 1964 and most of the other songs that appeared on the British version of the album were recorded June 1st to 3rd, 1964 with the exception of "You Can't Do That", which was recorded sometime between January 29th and February 25th, 1964.

The American (United Artists) version of the album contained 8 tracks + music from the score composed by George Martin. The UK album contained 13 tracks and no score music.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
atcolomb said:
All the Beatles movies have been released on blu-ray except Let It Be which has only been released on laserdisc and bootleg copies sold on Ebay. I do read about a release soon but nothing yet.
According to rumor, Paul doesn't want it released in his lifetime, because of the argument he has with George over playing guitar on Hey Jude and the general discontent expressed by all four Beatles in the film, although they seem to have gotten their act together for the rooftop concert at the end of the film, which is actually quite joyous.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
zoetmb said:
Your post implies (at least to me) that they recorded the songs for the film in the U.S. That is not the case. All the songs were recorded at EMI. And I think your dates are incorrect. According to my notes, most of the songs for the movie were recorded on March 4, 1964 and most of the other songs that appeared on the British version of the album were recorded June 1st to 3rd, 1964 with the exception of "You Can't Do That", which was recorded sometime between January 29th and February 25th, 1964.

The American (United Artists) version of the album contained 8 tracks + music from the score composed by George Martin. The UK album contained 13 tracks and no score music.

I AM aware that the songs were recorded at EMI. And I was going by Mark Lewisohn's book, The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions.

Where did your notes come from, by the way?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
For me, the great flaw of an otherwise lovely transfer is Criterion's lack of decent chapter points to the songs. The Beatles WERE the songs. Although Richard Lester made a very pleasing film, I would want to watch it complete only maybe two or three times .. .but cue to the songs all the time!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AnthonyClarke said:
For me, the great flaw of an otherwise lovely transfer is Criterion's lack of decent chapter points to the songs. The Beatles WERE the songs. Although Richard Lester made a very pleasing film, I would want to watch it complete only maybe two or three times .. .but cue to the songs all the time!
Hi AnthonyClarke!

This is a great plus of "The Beatles 4 Complete Ed Sullivan Show Appearances," though I usually watch the complete Episodes, anyway. I wasn't quite born when the first three aired, and though I've never seen any of the former Beatles' perform live, I did get to see the late Davy Jones at our North Bay Heritage Festival almost 10 years ago, and it is a great thrill to me that I got to shake the hand of somebody who actually appeared on that February 9, 1964 broadcast, though I wasn't really too conscious of that fact at the time!

Anyway, getting back to the chapter points: While I think this would have been a nice little bonus, in my opinion, when it comes down to discussing such minor quibbles, it's generally a strong sign that the crucial things were really done right! My own personal quibbles are that the "You Can't Do That" Film Clip looks as though its Video was unnecessarily put through some sort of Filter that certainly didn't help its appearance, and I would also have liked to have seen the Original 1964 U.S. and UK Trailers play in their entirety. However, given the amazing looking (Especially the Blu-Ray!) and sounding results for the Movie itself, and lots of great Bonus Features (Including the Commentary Track that I believe was supposed to be on the 2002 Miramax DVD.), the minor quibbles are in my opinion, just that!

CHEERS!

Tony

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A Hard Day's Night was covered in my musicals class this morning, and since I hadn't watched it in a few years, I finally cracked the cellophane on my Blu-ray and watched it today. It is beyond question the best I have ever seen it look or sound (I listened to the 5.1), and maybe it was just because the lecturers were so enthusiastic about it, but I enjoyed it even more this time around. I really like the personalities that come forth from the boys, especially Ringo who seems like a total innocent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks