What's new

Who Owns Silverado? How's the DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I JUST picked this up a couple days ago, to me the video and audio both seem on par, though I don't have a large display, only a lowly 27" Sony tv, so others will need to chime in on what it looks like when enlarged. Love the movie and really enjoyed seeing it again.

G2

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
PLEASE BE AWARE that CTS had about 50,000 or so of these discs that were shipped in the wrong (1.78:1) aspect ratio.

The proper aspect ratio for this film is 2.35:1.

The reason I mention this is due to the fact that I recently purchased one of the cropped discs from a local B&M and had one devil of a time trying to return it.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Silverado is a great film and a great DVD. My first copy was the incorrect 1.85:1 AR, but I sent it back to Sony and they shipped me the corrected 2.35:1 version. The picture is glorious, and the sound packs a real punch! At the bargain price of $15 or less (I paid more when it was first released), it's a steal!

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Is there any way to determine if a particular copy is the corrected version from the packaging?

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I was under the impression that the wrong aspect ratio for this DVD (1.85:1) was not cropped, but open matte. I realize that it not OAR, a must for purists, but at least this first pressing gave you more information rather than less. I actually have both copies, though neither have seen a DVD player in a long time.

Robert George

Screenwriter
I did some fairly extensive comparison when the corrected version of this disc was released. The film was shot in a format that is essentially the same as Super 35 and the 1.78:1 transfer is indeed open-matte. I could not find any instance where the 1.78:1 transfer is either panned/scanned or any cropping on the sides.

I suspect more than a few people would actually prefer the 1.78 transfer because of how it looks on a 16:9 TV, and it really isn't that bad at this ratio. Certainly much better than a 4:3 open-matte transfer which does have some cropping on the sides. However, I consider the framing at 2.35:1 much better balanced with a more elegant, more cinematic look.

P.S.

The catalog number is different between the two versions. The 2.35:1 version is 04281.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Went to BB last night and picked it up ($14.99). It is 2.35:1. Looks and sounds very good. Watched about half the movie last night and was not let down. Forgot how much I enjoyed this western.
Peace Out~:D

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I also have both copies and prefer the open matte version because you get more picture (not cropped). A great movie and dvd.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Does anybody have a link to some screen captures of the different versions. I have a 16x9 set and I've been meaning to replace my laserdisc of this movie for a while now.

Thanks for all the info!

C

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have OAR of this on laserdisc and the 1.78::1 on DVD and enjoy them both equally well in picture and sound. This is one of my DVDs that I will pull out every once in awhile to just watch a great movie.

Parker

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The 'corrected' 2.35:1 Silverado was issued with a new catalogue number - the number on the spine is 04281.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
According to the IMDB (and I know they're not always correct), Silverado was filmed in "Super Techniscope." Does anyone have any information about this process? I couldn't find anything.

At any rate, I don't know about the incorrectly framed DVD, but the old VHS P&S version was severely cropped; it looked just about like any other anamorphically shot film would in P&S.

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta agree with you Parker. It's one of those DVDs that probably gets played once a month, or two months.

Audio and Video are great.

David

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
It's not wrongfully cropped in 2.35:1.
I believe the original poster was referring to the fact that the release with the wrong OAR has not had any picture cropping (as would've been the case with P&S release). However you're absolutely right -- the proper way for this movie to be presented (and therefore watched) is in 2.35:1 AR. As has been said a number of times -- we want movies presented the way they were meant to be seen, not the way that makes our TVs look better (and that's what P&S is all about, be it altering for 4:3 TV or 16:9 TV).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks