What's new

Who Else (Besides Me) Thinks THE SHINING Would Be Excellent Showcase For WIDESCREEN? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Too bad that THE SHINING is only available in 4x3 format.
Don't you agree that the vastness of the Overlook Hotel, plus the sweeping panoramic overhead shots that are provided early in the picture, would look much better in Widescreen?
While not one of my all-time favorite motion pictures, I'd still love to see the HUGE Overlook in 2.35:1 splendor! How 'bout you guys? :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The express written wishes of Stanley Kubrick state that the Academy Ratio is his prefered ratio for this film. That is why this (and many other works by him) are only represented by full frame transfer. Note however that the transfer is open matte, so if you desire you can create your own mattes.

In short, this movie will never be released on DVD in widescreen and considering the information we have presently I'm not sure it should be. Please do a search, as the topic has been debated throughly in the past.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
While not one of my all-time favorite motion pictures, I'd still love to see the HUGE Overlook in 2.35:1 splendor! How 'bout you guys?
The Shining was shot at 1.33:1, with matting in theaters from 1.66:1 to 1.85:1. 2.35:1 would not only ruin the movie, but would probably cause Stanley Kubrick to roll in his grave.

The only 2 films in his entire career that were shot wide were Sparticus and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Both were exhibited at 2.21:1 in theaters and on home video (2001 is shown at 2.13:1 on the remastered WB DVD because the entire 65mm frame has been exposed...when transfered to 70mm, the top and bottom are slightly masked to 2.21:1)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
While I agree wholeheartedly w/ artistic intent etc...(So no attacks please!) whoever shot 2nd Unit for Kubrick in Oregon, I believe certainly didn't compose for Academy ratio... "Helicopter shadow" anyone...? And Kubrick left that shot on the filmwhich is invisible when matted to 1:85:1..

Since 1:85-1 is the way I saw it in the theater back in 80' I have NO problems watching it zoomed on my widescreen set, looks pretty good. On some shots in 1:33-1, there is quite a bit of headroom!

AND an anamorphic transfer would have been nice, resolution-wise...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, Kubrick wanted this film to be at 1.33:1. Those were his wishes, that's what he composed for, so that's what I want to see it in.

Here's something fun to do next time you see that film, watch just about every scene and you'll notice that various objects, and even walls and ceilings form a vanishing point effect. Altering the films ratio from 1.33:1 will ruin this illusion. One of the more famous ones is the scene in the bathroom when Grady is instructing Jack about what he has to do. Look at the walls, ceiling, and stalls in the long shot. This is visible all through the film.

Someone posted screen grabs of that shot in the past, perhaps someone could do so again.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I think that he may just be wishing that the film was shot in 2.35:1. He's imagining what The Overlook would look like in that ratio I think.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's just another case of "If it's in fullframe, it must be 2.35:1!" syndrome.
I think it's funny, but nearly all P&S discs are open matte (In fact, Episode II should be the first scope film to have a dual versions...). If there's a fullframe disc out, it's more likely for it to be 1.85:1 than being 2.35:1.
Even WB, who never releases widescreen discs :D , doesn't dare to release a scope film in pan & scan only.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think that he may just be wishing that the film was shot in 2.35:1.
I know that, John. I'm sure there are people who wish that Citizen Kane were in color, so that they could see all the bright details of Xanadu in its opulent splendor.

People like that worry me.

M.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In short, this movie will never be released on DVD in widescreen
Never is a long time so I wouldn't bet on that! I would rather not see THE SHINING in 4x3 either. It was shown in theaters in 1:85:1 so I think it should be presented in 1:85:1 on DVD. Frankly I don't care what Kubrick wanted - he made films in an age of widescreen and should have brought himself up to date. He seemed to have become obsessed with how the public saw his films on TV but didn't seem to consider the advent of widescreen TV.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

"Mummy" and "Mummy Returns" were both scope (and the former was one of the very first dual releases). I think the decision has to do more with the studio than whether the film was originally scope. Not to forget all of the films with both ratios on one disc where the original process didn't matter.

Also, sorry to nitpick, but Episode II is digitally shot to 1.78 and matted for the 2.35 so it's more akin to Super 35 than scope.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My turn:

I don't think it is our place to question Stanley Kubrick's artistic decisions; the master's work speaks for itself. It is a well-established fact that Mr. Kubrick was a dedicated fan of the Academy Aspect ratio; as our own Robert A. Harris has noted, Mr. Kubrick liked height in his compositions.

The Shining looks gorgeous--and appropriate--in its 1.37:1 OAR. I'll take the film as the filmmaker gave it to me. So I, among many others, very much care about what Mr. Kubrick wanted. And no filmmaker was more "up to date" on the technical issues and errata of film, cinematography, and film exhibition.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The remastered DVD has been transferred so well it holds up even if you zoom the image on a 16x9 set. Every now and then I do a little comparison with the disc by watching one scene in 4:3, then playing it again zoomed in.

The difference in composition is striking, with the characters dominating the frame in the 'matted' version. But in 4:3 the Overlook and it's gorgeous interiors (the true stars of the show) take over. Fascinating stuff.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I agree the film is presented just fine. I also think the film would have be just as stunning if Kubrick had shot it for widescreen.

However, I have to respectfully disagree with one comment.

I don't think it is our place to question Stanley Kubrick's artistic decisions; the master's work speaks for itself.
While Kubrick was an excellent director and storyteller, I neither agree with some of his material or decisions, nor do I find fault in speculating or even deabating particulars about his work. If the "master's work" can spur a debate, there's no reason there cannot be one. No director should be above this.

We are an intelligent audience and while we do not have a say in the creation of a film, we do have a place, and part of it is where we can question, dissect, protest, discuss, or praise the film.

-g

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure there are people who wish that Citizen Kane were in color, so that they could see all the bright details of Xanadu in its opulent splendor. People like that worry me.
Gee, I'd hate to see Michael R. turn gray worrying about me.
I guess I'd better make an appointment with my psychiatrist right away. :laugh:
Actually I hadn't the slightest of ideas how THE SHINING was shot, or what ratio Kubrick desired it in. I just assumed it was another GRUMPY OLD MEN scenario regarding the DVD .... only available in FF. For what reason, I did not know. But I do now, thanks to the crack HTF membership!
The fact that I might like to see the film in a wider ratio than 4x3 might be a sign of HT mental deterioration. I'm not sure. I hope my shrink knows the answer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks