What's new

Those Redheads From Seattle: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Ahem, yes, we have Cease Fire due up late this year... and then I hope to be aMazed by Kino's next announced release from the Paramount-3D Film Archive alliance.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
I'm just hoping we may see a special presentation of Redheads from Seattle in 3D here in the UK at some point, perhaps the 1932 art deco Stockport Plaza Cinema or even the Picture House at Bradfords Media Museum may offer some help with that one.

Watching it again tonight :D

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
A bunch of redheads arrived in my mailbox today. I don't yet have 3D capability, but have begun the process of searching for an upgrade for my projector. Hopefully by fall. :3dglasses:
I picked up a BenQ 2050 as solely a projector for 3-D and it's great. Bright, quiet, and it's DLP so there's zero 3-D crosstalk. House Of Wax is out of this world on the thing. Darn cheap too.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Also use a Benq over this side of the pond around two years now, its been a great projector and certainly good value for the pound. Our largest picture at home is 10 feet wide using it although I did project some material just under 15ft last year with it without a problem. Glad I went for the 3D projector at the time and really handy for projecting my own HD 3D filmed videos which have been particularly fun when filming steam locomotives coming out of the screen.

I've said it before I know but its a really special time to have the opportunity to collect these classic 3D films to show at home particularly as they were lovingly crafted and captured on real film materials.

A little off topic but I wanted something a little special to store the classic releases in and couldn't find anything that fitted the bill so found a suitable card box cutting the top down to size and covered the outside with old 3d poster art. The box is now full so I will need to make another but it sure looks great.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I realize it's not quite the right place for this question, but....How much does it cost to get a good 3D set up for the home these days? Is it possible to do for less than $1000?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I realize it's not quite the right place for this question, but....How much does it cost to get a good 3D set up for the home these days? Is it possible to do for less than $1000?

I don't think you can do it with any new flat panel TVs for that price, but if you can go the projection route you can certainly do it for less than $1000. The inexpensive DLPs by Optoma, Vivitek, and BenQ offer excellent 3-D performance.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I picked up a BenQ 2050 as solely a projector for 3-D and it's great. Bright, quiet, and it's DLP so there's zero 3-D crosstalk. House Of Wax is out of this world on the thing. Darn cheap too.

Interesting you would mention that one. My two finalists (even before seeing Roland's list, above) seem to be the BenQ 2050 or the Optoma HD142X. I'm currently leaning toward the Optoma as that's the brand I've had (non-HD, for more than 10 yrs) and have never experienced any issues with it, and it's more than $200 less than BenQ. Reviews for both seem stellar.

Sorry for triggering the hardware tangent.... ;)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Interesting you would mention that one. My two finalists (even before seeing Roland's list, above) seem to be the BenQ 2050 or the Optoma HD142X. I'm currently leaning toward the Optoma as that's the brand I've had (non-HD, for more than 10 yrs) and have never experienced any issues with it, and it's more than $200 less than BenQ. Reviews for both seem stellar.

Sorry for triggering the hardware tangent.... ;)
My main projector is still a ceiling-mounted Optoma HD80 (since 2007), one of the first 1080p projectors. I have been very happy with it and will keep it going until the 4K projector thing is a little more settled. I got the BenQ HT2050 for 3-D only, since the Optoma doesn't do 3-D. I bring out the BenQ and set it up on a table when I have a 3-D Blu-ray to show. Both brands have been good to me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Finally got to watch this tonight. Really a nice looking film. Great 3D, presentation, and audio. The only minor nitpick I had was some fluttering of the colors in some scenes. I presume this is a combination of factors including the age and condition of the elements, and the modest budget for the restoration. It was noticeable, but not really distracting. Overall, very enjoyable.

I'm really enjoying these classic 3D presentations, and hope to pick up more in the future.

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Red heads is a personal favourite here watching it many times Malcolm always a good view.

The last few years we have been so lucky to see a good number of Classic 3D titles come to Blu-Ray its been a truly great time in our lives as shall we say film buffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks