or

Cambridge Audio 540D DVD
Cambridge Audio 640A integrated

2-channel HT is the idea.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have the Cambridge 540D and along with a pretty good video player (very good in interlaced) that is also region free right out of the box (no firmware or hacks required) AND a great PALNTSC conversion (as well as native output in each format if you have a display capable of that), you get a CD player that punches well above its "weight class". It also does DVD-A, should that be of any concern to you. As for integrated amps, either one should be good. I think in the DVD department, though, the Cambridge 540D is a cut above the Rotel.

The 540D can also be used directly with a power amp, as it has a built in volume control (not to be confused with the level setting controls for MCH output) AND can be configured to play in 2.1 so you can output the sub signal to a powered sub while maintaining the use of a two channel integrated amp.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Both are well regarded. The Rotel DVD player's aren't their strong suit though. Have you looked at the Arcam's?

jim_W

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I didn't realize that the 540D had built in volume control. That is very interesting to me as I would consider running direct to amp to power my 2 speakers. My speakers have built in subs and the space is small so I have no need for a subwoofer. I am assuming the volume control is in the digital domain? Have you noticed any sound degredation at lower levels? Is the VC remote operable?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The 540D has a volume control on its remote. Essentially, it has its own internal pre-amp, so you can connect it to a power amp. If I were making a minimalist 2 channel setup, I'd get the 540D, a two channel amp, a powered sub and configure the player as front L/R (on/small), centre and surrounds (off), sub (on). I would then connect the L/R to the power amp and the sub out to the powered sub via RCA cable. This would give you the xover internally, and free up the mains from low end duty. Without a sub, I'd simply do the same except set the front L/Rs to large and sub off.

However, if I had any other devices (cable box, tape deck/mini disc recorder) that I wanted to incorporate, I'd go with an integrated amp.

The Arcam recommendation is a good one (integrated and player) but it is a significant price increase (at least in my neck of the woods). At its price point and up to twice, I think the Cambridge is hard to beat. Arcam is the minimum, I think, you could go to to beat the Cambridge in audio quality--but, as I said, it ain't cheap in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks