What's new

Which version of "Spartacus" to buy? (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As Crawdaddy notes, that's a big assumption on your part (I've seen this thing, along with all other features by this particular director, on the big screen a few times myself).
And some of us saw it on the big screen the first time around. ;)

And a few times since.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Big assumption on my part? I'll play - I saw Spartacus in its original big format engagement at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood seventeen times. I have seen it in 70mm subsequently maybe ten additional times. Your turn. Not how many times you've seen the DVD now, not how many times you've seen Spartacus now, but how many times you've seen the large format original version of Spartacus. I also used the word "probably" but never you mind - I'm fairly comfortable that I have PROBABLY and most likely seen this film in large format more than anyone who posts here, save for Mr. Harris himself. Certainly I'd be comfortable saying I saw it more times in its original engagement, pre-cutting and in large format more than anyone here. Were many of you even alive then?

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
ok...let's quit the whole "I saw this movie more times than you did" crap and be big kids...if you have comments about "Which version of Spartacus to buy" - the TOPIC of the forum, then talk about that...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
DVD Planet historically has discounted Criterion discs at 35% (though that may have gone the way of the dodo, I don't know as I don't shop online much anymore). If so, that should make the Criterion pricetag a little more to your liking.

If you're thinking of a keeper - buy the Criterion. If you want to view it once, maybe and don't have rental stores near you, maybe Netflix is the way to go? I have two coworkers who are members and they love the service.

[edit]Ah, DVD Planet has the Criterion for $32.47, which is only $17 more than the movie-only (which is out of stock anyway).[/edit]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks