What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blade Runner: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Do a basic search over at Amazon, and you'll find a long and confusing list of Blade Runner releases on home video, mixed in with downloads, and in their inimitable way, incorrect descriptions of the products.

Click on the new 30th Anniversary book (or boxed) edition, and you'll be getting all the information necessary to purchase the 2007 five disc set, which is only available from re-sellers at around $75.

For those who love the film, and I count myself among those who do, Warner's new 30th Anniversary book / set should fill the bill. For those who already have the 2007 set, it becomes superfluous.

For those new to Bladerunner, its a terrific buy, of the highest quality.

Can't get enough of the film?

Five different variants are offered on three different Blu-ray discs: The final 2007 cut with added material, scanned at 4k, the original theatrical (1982) cut, the international (1982) version, the Director's Cut (1991), and finally the "Rare" workprint feature version (1981).

It was this final version that Ron Haver and I "discovered," or more accurately, tripped over, and moved out of the way, while searching for Spartacus audio elements at Todd-AO. This was most likely the 70mm print that I saw sometime in the spring of 1982.

While I occasionally make light of Warner's re-issued Anniversary releases, this is a good one, and for those who don't already have the film(s) in their libraries, a must own.

Quality varies from the sublime (the 2007 cut) to the more than acceptable (the workprint), but where it matters the quality is there, with the best coming in at a 5/5.

Three discs, five versions of the film with a ton of extras for a street of $24 is one of the great deals of the decade.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Thanks for the review!
Can you confirm that ALL the extras have been carried over?
I only ask because the gentleman who runs DVDMG.com reviewed the set and says that all of the non-Dangerous Days extras (the featurettes, trailers, etc.) have been dropped.
He could be wrong but I'd rather not chance it. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by bgart13 /t/324670/a-few-words-about-blade-runner-30th-anniversary-collectors-edition-in-blu-ray#post_3992256
Is the audio lossless?
Final and workprint are lossless.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/324670/a-few-words-about-blade-runner-30th-anniversary-collectors-edition-in-blu-ray#post_3992258
Final and workprint are lossless.
Still don't understand why they didn't upgrade the archival versions but then again those are really upmixes from 4.1 6-tracks so I guess it would help that much.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Lord Dalek said:
Still don't understand why they didn't upgrade the archival versions but then again those are really upmixes from 4.1 6-tracks so I guess it would help that much.
Track layout shouldn't have any bearing on fidelity or format.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/324670/a-few-words-about-blade-runner-30th-anniversary-collectors-edition-in-blu-ray#post_3992266
Track layout shouldn't have any bearing on fidelity or format.
It would if the source was lossy to begin with. We're talking analog here.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Final Cut disc is the same as the original, it is encoded in VC1 and you have to manually select the Dolby True-HD track.
The workprint edition (Thanks for that RAH), suddenly has an AVC encode with DTS-HDMA sound.
The original and director's cuts still have the old encode and only DD 5.1.
I would enjoy this set much more if Warners had at least re-authored the discs to make lossless sound the default sound for the final prints and to add lossless sound to the original releases and to the director's cut.
They had to re-author the workprint disc because they put it on the same disc with the supplements.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Wayne_j said:
The Final Cut disc is the same as the original, it is encoded in VC1 and you have to manually select the Dolby True-HD track.
The workprint edition (Thanks for that RAH), suddenly has an AVC encode with DTS-HDMA sound.
The original and director's cuts still have the old encode and only DD 5.1.
I would enjoy this set much more if Warners had at least re-authored the discs to make lossless sound the default sound for the final prints and to add lossless sound to the original releases and to the director's cut.
They had to re-author the workprint disc because they put it on the same disc with the supplements.
So are the discs still BD-25?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Disc 1 (The Final Cut) is 21.7GB
Disc 2 (Original Theatrical, International Theatrical, and Director's Cut) is 22.8GB
Disc 3 (Workprint and Special Features) is 34.8GB

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Wayne_j said:
Disc 1 (The Final Cut) is 21.7GB
Disc 2 (Original Theatrical, International Theatrical, and Director's Cut) is 22.8GB
Disc 3 (Workprint and Special Features) is 34.8GB
Thanks. So the only difference is that the Work print and 2 DVDs are now combined onto a BD-50.
If I hadn't imported the 5 disc edition I would be chomping at the bit for this, but for an art book and a toy car I'm thinking it's not worth it.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Unless they encoded the final cut with a decent bit rate this time and pulled back with the DNR I'll pass. Is the final cut the same encode as on the old edition?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Michel_Hafner said:
Unless they encoded the final cut with a decent bit rate this time and pulled back with the DNR I'll pass. Is the final cut the same encode as on the old edition?
It is the same encode.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott D S /t/324670/a-few-words-about-blade-runner-30th-anniversary-collectors-edition-in-blu-ray#post_3992253
Thanks for the review!
Can you confirm that ALL the extras have been carried over?
I only ask because the gentleman who runs DVDMG.com reviewed the set and says that all of the non-Dangerous Days extras (the featurettes, trailers, etc.) have been dropped.
He could be wrong but I'd rather not chance it.

The gentleman screwed up - he screwed up bad. When I saw the "Access" button on the disc, I stupidly thought it was just a link to BD Live features and didn't click it.

All the original extras are there.

I've corrected my review and put up a notice on the site - if it's not up now, my webmaster will have it up soon.

I'm really sorry I botched this one and caused confusion. I do my best to present the most accurate info - I just goofed this time!

Mike Frezon

Premium
If I saw a button labeled "Access" on a Blu-ray bonus features menu, I certainly wouldn't click it either.

My player is not regularly hooked up to the internet and I would have thought "Access" was for on-line content, for sure.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/324670/a-few-words-about-blade-runner-30th-anniversary-collectors-edition-in-blu-ray#post_3992794
If I saw a button labeled "Access" on a Blu-ray bonus features menu, I certainly wouldn't click it either.

My player is not regularly hooked up to the internet and I would have thought "Access" was for on-line content, for sure.

Thanks for making me feel a bit better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yllanes