What's new

Which TV to get LCD or Plasma (1 Viewer)

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I am just wonder what to get?

Sony KE42M1
42" Plasma WEGA TV

or

Sony
KF42WE620
42" Grand WEGA® widescreen Hi-Scan™ TV

Please give me what is the advantage and disadvantage of each?... I know you can change the KF42WE620 by yourself.. but how about the KE42M1?

John

John S

Senior HTF Member
Lots of Pro/Cons bewteen these two.....

42" Ed Plasma
Pros: Direct View so best off axis picture, Plasma colors (very natural and film like), Really great Blacks, Ultra slim design.
Cons: This is not an HD display, Plasma's will burn/memory from logos/games, long term images on the screen, ect..ect..

LCD RPTV
Pros: Real HD Display, no burn in / image memory, some of the hottest newest technology out there.
Cons: RPTV, so not near as good off axis viewing even though greatly improved in these models, large foot print but sill magane-able. Not as good of blacks, many people still say it does not approach the naturalness / film like feel of plasma.

bruce sherman

Auditioning
What about a DLP set??? One of the new models with the HD2+ chip will give you better blacks and a more film-like experience from DVD's than either plasma or LCD.

Bruce

bruce sherman

Auditioning
Personally, I prefer DLP for movies on DVD. Plasma would be my second choice and LCD my third--but I am not an expert and would love to hear the opinions of others.

Bruce

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen a DLP yet, I thought matched the natural film like colors and fluidness of Plasma. But it is possible, I really have not looked close at the latest DLP offerings. I thought LCOS was supposed to solve all this stuff.. lol

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
And then you have JVC's implementation of lcos...ILA somthing? Next down the pike is another chip-set being designed and manufactured by Intel (already delayed once).

I went with a plasma. Lack of good light control and off axis viewing desires made it the choice in my case. It's been better than expected....no burn in or other boogie-boos and I haven't even had to change the gas yet in over a year :D

Mort

bruce sherman

Auditioning
From what I've read LCOS does not give you the deep blacks of DLP.

If you need a thin set, check out the Optoma 50" DLP which is only about 14" deep or the new DLP offerings from RCA and InFocus which are even thinner.

Bruce

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
There is no "ranking". There is NO BEST and NO WORST technology. It's all in what you want.

If you want viewing angles, and CRT-like visibility in lighted situations, and the chance of burn-in doesn't trigger obsessive burn-in paranoia, choose plasma.

If you want a lightweight RPTV (be aware of viewing angles and visibility issues of RPTVs), choose LCD or DLP RPTV (personally I prefer DLP).

But - if you want Plasma, go with a Panasonic or JVC, or maybe a Pioneer - Sony's plasmas are very overpriced and are not the best.

On ED vs HD - you should do a search on that. It's been discussed quite a few times.

Rae H

Auditioning
Have a look at the new Panasonic DLPs
PT50DL54 or PT60DL54
HD2+
2500 to 1 contrast ratio
8 segment color wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks