which to buy... sony, yamaha or onkyo

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Todd*G, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Todd*G

Todd*G Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to help my mom find a Home Theater in-a-box System for my Dad for his birthday, which is tomorrow. So I am running out of time [​IMG]

The only thing I know about HTS is what I have learned after two days of research on the Internet. I have narrowed it down to the following:

Onkyo HT-S770 6.1 1000Watt $500
    Yamaha YHT-450 6.1 700Watt $500

To me, the specs of the Onkyo appear to be better than the Yamaha, but I'm not sure which will actually sound better.

I think the receivers are going to be similar in quality. I think the biggest difference will be in speaker quality. Which speakers will sound the best of these two systems? I think the Onkyo subwoofer will probably sound much better. Higher Watts and lower frequency. The Yamaha goes up to 200hz which might be too high for a sub?

Or should I go with something much less expensive like the Sony HT-DDW660 5.1 420Watt at only $200. Even tho it is a lot less power maybe the speakers are much better sounding and will make up for the lack of power versus the other two choices?

I know most of you have probably never listened to any of these systems, but based on your epxeriences and knowledge what is your best guess for the better system? [​IMG]

Thanks to anyone who can help.

PS: I would try listening to them but I am 2 hours away from the nearest city because I live in a remote area. Also, I would have posted links to the system specs but I am not allowed to until I have made 15 posts.

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The Yamaha YHT-450 was a decent alternative to last years HT-S760, but now that Onkyo has come out with the 770 it would be the clear choice to me between the two. Stay away from most any $200 htib unless you really want an "entry level" system. Besides, you would upgrade to a better one real soon anyway. For DAD, get the Onkyo [​IMG] .

3. Todd*G

Todd*G Auditioning

Thank you for the input its very much appreciated. I was leaning toward the Onkyos myself and your reply helped me to confirm what appeared to be the best bargain.

Again, thanks. [​IMG]

4. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

5. Edwin K

Edwin K Auditioning

I bought the $200 Sony system. While it is certainly better than stereo speakers, I have already started to upgrade (a new center and fronts). By the end of the year or sooner the whole thing will be gone; replaced by better alternatives. Kind of a waste of money, but at least I had a starting point. Do better for your Dad.