What's new

which to buy... sony, yamaha or onkyo (1 Viewer)

Todd*G

Auditioning
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to help my mom find a Home Theater in-a-box System for my Dad for his birthday, which is tomorrow. So I am running out of time :frowning:

The only thing I know about HTS is what I have learned after two days of research on the Internet. I have narrowed it down to the following:

Onkyo HT-S770 6.1 1000Watt $500
Yamaha YHT-450 6.1 700Watt $500

To me, the specs of the Onkyo appear to be better than the Yamaha, but I'm not sure which will actually sound better.

I think the receivers are going to be similar in quality. I think the biggest difference will be in speaker quality. Which speakers will sound the best of these two systems? I think the Onkyo subwoofer will probably sound much better. Higher Watts and lower frequency. The Yamaha goes up to 200hz which might be too high for a sub?

Or should I go with something much less expensive like the Sony HT-DDW660 5.1 420Watt at only $200. Even tho it is a lot less power maybe the speakers are much better sounding and will make up for the lack of power versus the other two choices?

I know most of you have probably never listened to any of these systems, but based on your epxeriences and knowledge what is your best guess for the better system? :)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

PS: I would try listening to them but I am 2 hours away from the nearest city because I live in a remote area. Also, I would have posted links to the system specs but I am not allowed to until I have made 15 posts.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Yamaha YHT-450 was a decent alternative to last years HT-S760, but now that Onkyo has come out with the 770 it would be the clear choice to me between the two. Stay away from most any $200 htib unless you really want an "entry level" system. Besides, you would upgrade to a better one real soon anyway. For DAD, get the Onkyo :) .

Todd*G

Auditioning
Thank you for the input its very much appreciated. I was leaning toward the Onkyos myself and your reply helped me to confirm what appeared to be the best bargain.

Again, thanks. :)

Edwin K

Auditioning
I bought the $200 Sony system. While it is certainly better than stereo speakers, I have already started to upgrade (a new center and fronts). By the end of the year or sooner the whole thing will be gone; replaced by better alternatives. Kind of a waste of money, but at least I had a starting point. Do better for your Dad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks