What's new

Which STB to Get? (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I currently have a Panasonic PT-56WXF90 hooked up to an OTA antenna. I am interested in getting a set-top box to watch HDTV. I live about 15 miles outside of New York City. What are my best options? How is the DishNetwork 6000? What kind of money am I looking at spending?
Thanx,
Lin

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panasonic TU-HDS20 STB which now goes for around $799. It may be a good option for you since I think that your tv will do 720p. The TU-HDS20 will output 720p, which may or may not be important to you. I haven't seen 720p to say whether it is better than 1080i, but more options never hurt anyone, right?
It has a few issues, such as a slow menu and no signal meter, but this wasn't so much a problem for me. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
The very best deal out there right now is from www.dishdepot.com . They are very reliable and highly respected in the satellite community for their good prices and great customer service. If you call, Mark will help you with any questions you may have about setting up your system.
Their cheapest deal is their 6023 system package. For $349 plus $35 shipping you get a 6000 HDTV receiver, remote, 2 dishes, and all necessary cables and switches. It also offers the option of a FREE additional receiver (2800, non-HD) should you want it for another TV in your house. To get this reduced price, you must agree to purchase Dish Network programming totalling at least $21.99 a month and keep it for at least 8 months. It just so happens that's what the HBO + Showtime package costs, so for $21.99 a month you get both HD feeds AND you fulfill your commitment. For OTA capability (CBS, PBS, etc.), you'll get the 8VSB tuner for $135 (regular price $149). TOTAL COST: $519 and a $21.99 a month programming commitment.
You also have the option to request a $199 rebate from Dish Network, but for that you must make a programming commitment of at least $39.99 a month and keep it for at least 12 months. After the 12 months you can reduce it to $21.99 for the HD feeds only. TOTAL COST: $320 and a $39.99 a month programming commitment.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
the new Zenith STB will have 720P capability.
I am wondering if I should get the panasonic right now or wait for the zenith?
------------------

CarlS

Stunt Coordinator
Bill -
I would find a store that won't hassle you if you returned the box and give the Panasonic a try.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
How is the DishNetwork 6000?
I recently installed this unit. In comparison to the RCA 5151 it is awful from an ergonomic perspective. The RCA is slick and elegant in its menues, navigation, and features. The 6000 looks like a first generation product that is cumbersome to work through and ugly to look at. The following points are random, and they apply to the DTC-100 as well.
Examples off the top of my head:
  • RCA has three types of program guides, the coolest being the Surf format. Surf overlays a transparent grid on the screen that you can expand in 30 minute increments until it fills the screen for a total of 2 hours. But programing continues to be seen and heard in the background. Next is a full guide that you can move beyond two hours, non-transparent, no A/V. The final version is like the previous but program descriptions are shown on top. Everything nicely colored and easy to look at. Plus there are several navigation buttons on the bottom. Dish: one blocky screen with no A/V.
  • RCA has four user lists that can be customized until you're blue in the face and are easily accessed by hitting the Who button on the remote. Dish has four lists but you're limited to 120 custom selections in total. So 30 per list, or two with 60, and so on.
  • RCA's theme access is more intuitive, and much quicker.
  • RCA has much faster channel access than Dish.
  • RCA utilizes an IR "bug" to transmit commands to the VCR for recording. It sticks right on to the front of the VCR so there are never any errors in transmission. The 6000 uses an "IR blast" which shoots the commands with a high-power transmitter in hopes of bouncing off something and getting back to the VCR. I have not tried that yet but it would seem to me that the bug offers the best contact, particularly if someone has a large room with lots of absorptive surfaces.
  • RCA's recording scheme is fantastic. If you stumble on a currently playing program and want to record it hit the Record button and the system does the rest (start VCR, activate record, stop VCR at program's end, turn off VCR). I have not found a way to do this with the 6000 - you would need to manually start and stop the VCR. It only lets you highlight future programs on the guide for one touch recording.
These comments stem from dealing with change. I'm just not used to the new system. But it's like switching from a BMW to a Chevette. Note also that the picture quality is fine, and HD is fantastic. Also note that it's not just a choice of hardware but also software. Do you want Dish Network or DirecTV? I would recommend making a decision which provider you prefer first.
------------------
--Jay
My Home Theatre Pictures & Pronto CCF...
"Holy crap! The vultures are eating my head!

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
RCA has three types of program guides, the coolest being the Surf format. Surf overlays a transparent grid on the screen
Dish 6000 has something vaguely similar (transparent), although you only see a channel at a time, showing only what is currently being played.
I love my 6000; but I am not much of a channel surfer, so the RCA programming guide features are not much of a concern with me.
BTW; currently, the Dish 6000 cannot be used solely as an OTA STB. You must also subscribe to at least a basic dish network package for the OTA STB to function.
------------------

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Dish 6000 has something vaguely similar (transparent), although you only see a channel at a time, showing only what is currently being played.
The one feature I have found (the Browser) where the 6000 beats the RCA. The RCA has some other neat ways to surf and navigate as well, but the Browse function is quite nice. The RCA analog to the 6000's browse function is an offset from the main channel guide where you can look at upcoming shows on a channel by channel basis.
------------------
--Jay
My Home Theatre Pictures & Pronto CCF...
"Holy crap! The vultures are eating my head!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks