Which STB to Get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lin Park, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I currently have a Panasonic PT-56WXF90 hooked up to an OTA antenna. I am interested in getting a set-top box to watch HDTV. I live about 15 miles outside of New York City. What are my best options? How is the DishNetwork 6000? What kind of money am I looking at spending?
    Thanx,
    Lin

2. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

I have the Panasonic TU-HDS20 STB which now goes for around $799. It may be a good option for you since I think that your tv will do 720p. The TU-HDS20 will output 720p, which may or may not be important to you. I haven't seen 720p to say whether it is better than 1080i, but more options never hurt anyone, right?
    It has a few issues, such as a slow menu and no signal meter, but this wasn't so much a problem for me. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

3. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

The very best deal out there right now is from www.dishdepot.com . They are very reliable and highly respected in the satellite community for their good prices and great customer service. If you call, Mark will help you with any questions you may have about setting up your system.
    Their cheapest deal is their 6023 system package. For $349 plus $35 shipping you get a 6000 HDTV receiver, remote, 2 dishes, and all necessary cables and switches. It also offers the option of a FREE additional receiver (2800, non-HD) should you want it for another TV in your house. To get this reduced price, you must agree to purchase Dish Network programming totalling at least $21.99 a month and keep it for at least 8 months. It just so happens that's what the HBO + Showtime package costs, so for $21.99 a month you get both HD feeds AND you fulfill your commitment. For OTA capability (CBS, PBS, etc.), you'll get the 8VSB tuner for $135 (regular price $149). TOTAL COST: $519 and a $21.99 a month programming commitment.
    You also have the option to request a $199 rebate from Dish Network, but for that you must make a programming commitment of at least $39.99 a month and keep it for at least 12 months. After the 12 months you can reduce it to $21.99 for the HD feeds only. TOTAL COST: $320 and a $39.99 a month programming commitment.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

4. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

the new Zenith STB will have 720P capability.
    I am wondering if I should get the panasonic right now or wait for the zenith?
    ------------------

5. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

Bill -
    I would find a store that won't hassle you if you returned the box and give the Panasonic a try.

6. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

The Dish 6000 also does 720p.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

8. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer