What's new

Which station is offering the best coverage? (1 Viewer)

Derrik N

Grip
Seems to go back and forth, but overall I think CNN has provided the best coverage.
------------------
Derri(NO "c")k

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
As much has I hate to say this, its the same thing over and over and over...
Very Depressing.
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I've found that CNN often seems to get new footage first. Despite Fox New's recent victory in ratings, CNN still has more sources in the field I believe.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I first heard about this on the radio, and turned on the TV to see PICTURES, which you can't show on the radio. What I did see was cluttered not only with the network logos, but the affiliates were putting their own logos on top of those, and big text saying "America Under Attack" and other scrolling messages were covering the picture, making it look more like a tabloid than news coverage.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Actually, the ONLY place to get coverage Over-The-Air is WCBS, since all the other channels either do not have a redundant broadcast system or had to be evacuated (below 14th street) in the NYC area. If it wasn't for my DBS, I'd get nothing but channel 2 or NJN (UHF Channel 76) No WNBC, WABC, FOX, UPN, WB, or PBS. WCBS ratings must be huge!
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
BBC America had very good, non-cluttered coverage. Right now I'd say that MSNBC is the best.
/Mike

Chris

Senior HTF Member
CNN was the first to be live in afghanistan.. but now everyone has a correspondant there.. Fox was the only place live in Germany late last night..
It's going to depend.
I tend to prefer either Fox or C-Span, though not the "prime" hours, because it seems as though a lot of the networks are offering too much editorializing and "face time" that seems to always boil down to: "Do you think congressmen X,Y,Z should have done A,B,C?" etc.. come on.
Once any of them start playing the second guess game, I just turn the channel. Way to early to second guess anything now.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Fox has withheld some photos and footage out of respect for the families of the victims. CNN has showed pretty much everything.
I would say Fox News has dont the best. They keep a scroll on the bottom of the screen and have had a ton of interviews since the thing started. The NYC Fox (Fox 5) was actually live when the second plane hit the WTC. Fox News has also been live for three straight days.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I prefer ABC News for this reason: they have not "branded" their coverage with a slogan like "America Under Attack" or "Attack On America" continuously stamped on the screen. This is a tragic event that should not be trivialized into a catchy slogan or customized theme music. I don't know if you would call it a "class act" but I think ABC deserves kudos for simply calling their coverage "Special Report".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I happened to be up late last night, flipping through the channels for updates on the whole situation. ABC ran this interview of Connie Chung and a Mr. Lutnick that just produced tears in my eyes. Lutnick is the CEO of Cantor and Fitzgerald, a huge bonds clearing house with around 1000 employees that did over $50 trillion dollars in business last year, and his firm occupied the 101st-105th floor of the north WTC tower. When the 1st plane hit the tower, there was absolutely nowhere for any of the 700 people of his company to go. They heard the cell phone calls from these employees and it was a totally helpless situation. The interview had a segment with the wife of the CFO. That CFO was Lutnick's best friend and he made a call to his fatehr and wife and was able to get off his last goodbyes. The wife was just grief-stricken by these events.
Lutnick lost all those employees, and he was sobbing because they were situated on those floors because they choose to work with his company, and it cost them their lives. He is doing what he can to provide for the families of these 700 employees. He had a brother that perished in the tower. He happened to take his 5 year old son to his first day at school, and arrived a little late for work a block from the ground floor of the building just as the plane hit it. As the insanity commences, he just stood outside the building asking anyone coming out of the building what floor they came off from inside the building, but he never heard anyone over the 91st floor make it out of the building, and then the building collapsed and he had to run away from the building, and he continued to walk north for 4 hours, not knowing how this could have happened, totally shell-shocked from the events. He returned to the nearest hospital with a list of all of his employees, begging the hospital to tell him that one, just one of his employees was actually at the hospital, but no one has turned up.
It was so painful to watch this man, who was certainly one of those "masters of the universe" that Tom Wolfe writes about in "The Bonfire of the Vanities" show so much compassion and humanity in the darkest day of his life. He said that the reason he cares so much for his employees and their families is because he'll get to kiss his children tonight, and his employees who perished won't get that opportunity ever again.
The rest of the 300 employees that didn't work in the WTC location voted to keep working, Lutnick asked them "Why? Why? Why?" and he wanted them to just stop and grieve. But none of them could fathom staying home when 700 of their family had perished and they still needed to work and provided for their extended family, so the remaining workforce has kept working and showing the rest of the world that they may have suffered a tremendous setback, but they are resolute in picking up the remains and going forward and becoming stronger than ever.
That was just such an emotional interview of one man whose world lays totally in ruin from these catastrophic events. It fills you with rage just watching this interview.
I had a hard time getting to sleep last night.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
We don't have cable or satelite so I can only comment on the local OTA stations - FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC. FOX dropped the ball two days ago, resuming normal programming. Our local NBC station started airing commercials yesterday, a very bad PR move IMO. The local CBS station went off the air in the early morning hours the past two days. The local ABC, which normally goes off the air in the early morning hours, has been brocasting continuously since the beginning with quality material - a clear winner in my book.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Online I use ABC. It's the only network website I found with live coverage and it's the first thing I do when I get to work. At home it's usually ABC or NBC as long as Brian Williams isn't on the air.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks