What's new

Which shows are you transferring to DVD from your videotape masters? (1 Viewer)

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I've been considering tranferring my Max Headroom VHS tapes to DVD too. I have a DVD recorder, but my tapes are only VHS (rather than SVHS) and have some audio irregularities. Sigh. Still, it's better than not having them at all.

Another that I'd like to have is Time Trax. I think I have the first couple episodes on tape somewhere, but unfortunately don't have the rest...

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Lots of people have made mistakes over the years in terms of what they recorded because basically no one could see into the future. I'm sorry, as I'm sure a lot of people are, that I wasted tapes recording movies. Who knew that eventually almost all movies would be available? It didn't look that way in 1980 when the studios weren't releasing movies and when they did it was very expensive. I wish I had recorded nothing but sports and TV shows.

As for what shows would be hard to find and which ones would come out, again, who knew? I spent the entire 80s, chasing down Man from UNCLE, first from Rockford, Illinois, then Baltimore, then Santa Fe, New Mexico until I finally got a great set of uncut, remastered episodes from San Francisco in the late 80s. I even have some Fugitives from the early 80s before the Worldvision pre-cuts. And there are people who started earlier. A friend of mine started in early 1978 and recorded just about every prime time sitcom for a couple of years. That's where I got many short run shows of that era that will never appear again.

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Probe and Automan. I think I have Spy Game, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and Time Trax somewhere, so I might transfer those too.

And for the foreseeable future, the latest seasons of House, Monk and Heroes.

For the people using DVD blanks from spindles, how are you storing them, in binders?

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Im Quite lucky to have on tape Paradise, and Guns of Paradise with the same characters on both with Lee Horsely, the Gavin Macloud era of The Love Boat, but missed a few episodes, the Entire series of Trauma Centre with The Hulk Lou Ferrigno, 2 seasons of Eight is Enough, and 2nd Noah.

I had Different Strokes and some 7th Heaven, but those came out on DVD. I tossed those tapes.

A friend with 3 DVD recorders and has all but 2 Battle of the Network Stars on tape transferred my shows for me.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Shows I transferred... (* means that after I did it they came out on dvd)

-Miami Vice*
-Vengeance Unlimited
-Superboy*
-The Strip
-Special Unit 2
-Cobra*
-7 Days
-Time Trax
-Secret Adventures of Jules Verne
-Legend
-Nightmare Cafe
-Space Rangers
-Freakylinks
-Sentinel*
-Human Target
-The Flash*
-Timecop

Shows I am holding off transferring in the hope they are released...
-The Equalizer
-Spenser For Hire
-Kung Fu: The Legend Continues
-The Untouchables (1990's series)
-Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (Hopefully coming soon)
-Counterstrike
-Lightning Force

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Jewel cases. You don't want to use anything that makes the DVD rub against something that will cause scratches and that's what anything with a sleeve will do.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

Popular, Roswell, 90210 and Melrose all have a lot of replaced music on the DVD's. Hell, even the final cliffhanger scene of Popular has replaced music, the original version being "Bodies" by Drowning Pool (which worked perfectly with what happens at the end) and the DVD version being some fast-paced techno track.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
For any of the truly rare stuff, I would keep the original VHS tapes... as DVD really hasn't proven itself as an archival storage medium just yet. I had a few hundred VHS tapes from my tape collecting days, none really tv shows or anything, and I'm guessing I saved about 1/4th of them "just in case". The others I can live without if somehting should happen to the DVD. One thing I dont like about DVD recording is that (at least on my deck) you can't change recording times, all there is is 1hr 2hr 4hr and 6hr mode. If you have a 85 minute tape, if would be nice to set the recorder for 85 minutes to get a better bitrate without having to record at the 60min mode and condensing with another program.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

I don't know what you use but all of my Panasonics have flex time recording so you can do just that. If it's 85 minutes I set the record for 85 minutes.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I started the project when it dawned on me that I was down to my last working VCR. I ended up buying a new one just for the project, but paid double what I paid for my previous one.

I have a single Beta tape I need to convert and I know it's going to be a hassle. I didn't want to be in that same situation with my VHS collection.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
The unit I use is a Daewoo that I bought at costco about a year ago... dont know the model # though off hand. The quality is pretty good even at 2 hour mode.

AndySvn

Agent
I'm doing the original "Iron Chef" show (not the Mario/Flay version), because even if it gets released eventually there'll be too many episodes to view, and I have a few specific favorites I want to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks