What's new

Which Robocop Should I Own? (1 Viewer)

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
Wasn't there going to be another uncut release of this at some point? Given recent trends in movies, wouldn't the NC-17 Robocop cut get an R these days anyhow? I haven't seen it in a while though, so can't say for sure. I know that I'm not paying for an oop Criterion though-those things is pricey...
well.. the disc says that it was going to be rated X not NC-17. and to be honest with you i don't think it could get away with what it does now either. if that movie (uncut) was never released until now.. its possible that it might only get slapped with NC-17 but i don't think for a second it could get away with R. the violence in Robocop sets it apart from today's movies bc it looks so realistic and it never cuts away. thats why seeing this film uncut is the only way to go imo.
as for the real question to this thread.. i'd have to say go with both the CC and the region 1 uncut MGM. get yourself a two disc case and there ya go. :D

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
It was going to be rated X because there was no NC-17 rating at the time, NC-17 is the current equivalent of the X rating.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I agree with Brett C that the 5.1 remix on the MGM is inferior to the 2.0 pro-logic track on the Criterion. I though this was the case with Silence of the Lambs Criterion vs. MGM as well. I am not an MGM basher, though. My previous post to the forum was a strong recommendation for "The Lion in Winter" :)
There are some pretty noticeable color timing differences between the two transfers, but I am not going to hazard a guess as to which one is correct. Just because MGM does not explicitly trumpet the approval of the director and/or DP does not mean that they did not get it, and I don't want to jump to conclusions.
My personal preference is for the Criterion.
Regards,

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
Woohoo!! I found a used Robocop :CC in perfect condition for only $14.99! :) Even though I had to tweak my receiver to get the best sound out of this disc, I was nice to feel ED-209 walking around.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, great score!!! I saw someone trying to sell the CC edition recently for $90!!! And you got it for $15. Amazing. What a country we live in.:D

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Talk about deals, I picked up the Robocop CC in a 6 dvd lot on ebay a few months back.....
This is from a previous post of mine:
For example: I just won an auction for six(yes six!!)DVDs for 67.42 + 4.50 shipping. The list inclueds Alien SE,The Matrix,The 5th Element(non-superbit),Star Wars EP1,Robocop(criterion),and Star Trek 2
So, I figure I paid about 11 bucks :)
I dont think the seller knew what he had.....all 6 dvds were like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks