What's new

Which Robocop Should I Own? (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
There is currently 3 versions of Robocop available to my knowledge.

1. Orion Pictures (I currently own)
2. Criterion Collection
3. MGM

I am looking for the release that offers the best picture and sound. I rented the Criterion version a while ago, and If I remember correctly, it only a had Dolby Surround track. I think MGM has a Dolby Digital track. Orion is in stereo with an average picture. I know the Criterion version is rare and hard to find, which means I'll be spending more then usual to buy it.

Which version should I buy/stay with?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
You can find the CC around for reasonable prices. I just bought it used from a member on this board for $37 and he wasn't the only one selling it.

I wanted the CC for the uncut version. I have read the sound and picture are inferior to the MGM version however.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I wanted the CC for the uncut version. I have read the sound and picture are inferior to the MGM version however.
This is correct. The MGM release does have better PQ over the CC version. I think the MGM version was color-corrected too cause I saw comparisons and the MGM was better. Color-wise. I think it has a 5.1 track too, not sure though.
I myself like the CC version. Im a sucker for gratuitous violence. ;)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there going to be another uncut release of this at some point? Given recent trends in movies, wouldn't the NC-17 Robocop cut get an R these days anyhow? I haven't seen it in a while though, so can't say for sure. I know that I'm not paying for an oop Criterion though-those things is pricey...

Brett C

Second Unit
I think the 5.1 remix on the MGM disc is inferior to the original 2.0 on the Criterion. The original 2.0 has a lowend punch that is gone on the remix...

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
MGM europe have recently released a great new version of Robocop. 5.1 sound, anamorphic picture, new documentary, deleted scenes (other than the ones cut to avoid X rating), both theatrical and uncut versions of the movie, commentary track.

Only fault is that it is framed at 1.85:1 and not at 1.66:1, and that is on a single disk.

It will probably be released in R1 as well, so I would wait for that one, if I were you, especially since you already have the image version (Orion went bankrupt before DVD arrived).

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The Criterion version is uncut and properly framed.

The Internet Movie Database says 1.66:1 (negative ratio) and 1.85:1 (intended ratio).
This is up to debate as to what is the "correct" aspect ratio of the film. When this movie was shown in theaters, it was shown at the 1.85:1 aspect ratio, however, director Paul Verehoeven (sp?) preferred the 1.66:1 cut.

I am a fan of OAR, and I am also a fan of 16x9 enhanced transfers, so since both 1.85:1 and 1.66:1 can both be labelled as "correct" aspect ratios, my vote goes for the upcoming MGM SE since it will be the only one in 16x9 anamorphic widescreen.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I know that I'm not paying for an oop Criterion though-those things is pricey
This should not be too much of an issue, as there were a fair number of copies of this film. Easy to pick up at under $50 and can be sometimes picked up on eBay for less.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
if you have a large 16:9 tv the Criterion might be unwatchable to your eyes. I have a 38" 16:9 which isn't even all that big and i found the Criterion dvd to have sub-laserdisc picture-quality.

on smaller tv's like 27" and under, the Criterion is probably the way to go because it's uncut.

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
I saw a pretty good run-down in the message board at DVDReview:
Version 1.0, Image Entertainment Release
Robocop: Presented at the U.S. theatrical aspect ratio. Letterbox with the original Dolby Surround English soundtrack. No supplement and is the R rated version of the film.
This is out-of-print.
Version 2.0, Criterion Release
Robocop - Criterion Collection Edition: The X rated director's cut presented in the original intended aspect ratio. Letterbox with the original Dolby Surround English soundtrack. Supplements include a second audio track featuring interviews with the crew & Robocop expert Paul M. Sammon, audio/video & text presentation of the Cinefex article, theatrical trailer, and liner notes.
This is out-of-print.
Version 3.0, MGM Home Entertainment release
Robocop: Presented at the U.S. theatrical aspect ratio. 16:9 with a Dolby Digital remixed English soundtrack and theatrical trailer.
This is the R rated version of the film.
Version 3.5, MGM Home Entertainment release
Robocop - Special Edition: Presented at the U.S. theatrical aspect ratio. Features both the R rated & X rated director's cuts via seamless DVD branching. Both are presented in 16:9 with a Dolby Digital remixed English soundtrack. Supplement section consists of audio commentary with director Paul Verhoeven & Ed Neumeier, "Flesh & Steel" documentary featuring new interviews with the crew & Robocop expert Paul M. Sammon, "Shooting Robocop" archived featurette, "Making Robocop" archived featurette, deleted scenes, 2 theatrical trailers, TV spot, Storyboard-To-Film Comparison with Optional Commentary.
This is slated for Late 2002/Early 2003. Unlike the international versions, this one is set to use seamless DVD branching rather tnan extended DVD branching.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
This is correct. The MGM release does have better PQ over the CC version. I think the MGM version was color-corrected too cause I saw comparisons and the MGM was better. Color-wise. I think it has a 5.1 track too, not sure though.
While the MGM has more resolution, being anamorphic, the Criterion DVD (and LaserDisc) contain the only transfer that has been approved by Paul Verhoeven. Therefore, if there is a difference in colour, it is more likely that the Criterion is "better", or more accurate.

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
But will the R1 SE use truly seamless branching?
The R2/4 doesn't with the result that there are a number of layer-change-like pauses in the extended cut. This is what's been holding me back from the R4 release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks