Which of these DVD players would be a good choice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bosch, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Jason Bosch

Jason Bosch Agent

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new DVD player. my old RCA bit the dust. RCA sucks so bad lol. Right now i'm just using a PS2. Which seems to be incompatible with half of my collection, even AOTC. Anyways I'm now looking for a good one which plays at least DVD Audio. My first one I'm looking for sheer price is that JVC XV-FA95GD. It's only $150 from J&R Music World. It's a 7-Disc carousel and it says it's both progessive scan and DVD-A compatible. Is this one too good to be true and will probably give me nothing but problems? Next up is the Toshiba 4800 which is a single disc and is only $200. Then theres the Panny 72 5-Disc at $250 or so. Next is the Yamaha DVDC920 5 Disc with the DCDI Faroujoda chip and DVD-A compatible. It's $400. And if all else fails I might have to save for the Pioneer Elite 45A. I really like that one because it's also SACD but at $500 it's quite a bit more than all of em. And i'm thinking that later when I have extra money I could just find a sony CD player that will play those. Any help here would be great because I don't want to get any more players that are just going to be problematic. Thanks everyone.

2. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Best Buy has the XV-FA900BK 7 DVD changer for 260 dollars

3. ChrisRC

ChrisRC Guest

www.jandr.com has the JVC 900 for $239 plus $15 shipping. Probably cheaper to go that route when you consider no tax outside NY.
    ChrisRC

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, the Panasonic 'CP72 gets good reviews here. You should be able to get a good price on it through J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) or OneCall (1-800-340-4770), both of which are authorized dealers. In addition, Panasonic is offering a $30 mail-in rebate on the 'CP72. After the rebate, you should be able to score a 'CP72 for less than $200 through J&R or OneCall.

Saving up for the Pioneer Elite '45A would not be a bad move since it would give you SACD in addition to DVD-Audio. However, the video quality on the '45A likely is not up to par with the 'CP72. This is based on what I have read about these players here.

Regarding Sony SACD players, non-DVD models are becoming scarce. The flagship SCD-XA777ES (MSRP $3000) is still available and some say that the 'C222ES changer (MSRP $500, but $350 by mail) is still available too. You should be able to get the 'C222ES for $350 through OneCall, J&R, or Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). Oade Bros. is an authorized dealer as well. However, I'm not sure that the 'C222ES is long for this world. Sony has not yet announced new non-DVD SACD player for 2003.

5. Jason Bosch

Jason Bosch Agent

Thank you guys for the replies. I appreciate it. I was going to just try out the JVC 7-Disc and see how it performed. And I may yet just because it's only $150 and if it doesn't work out very well I could always sell it later on and then I'd have a better DVD player while i'm saving for the Pioneer.Not 100% sure yet however. But thanks for the information.