What's new

Which of these amps would you recommend (1 Viewer)

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Whichever amps I end up with they will be driving my new B&W Nautilus 802, HTM-1 and B&W Nautilus surrounds that I haven't decided on yet. I'm going to bi-amp the 802s and the HTM-1 center, so I will need two 5 channel amps at least.

I've narrowed my search down to the following...

ATI AT2505

Sherbourn 5/1500a

Outlaw 755 or 770

Parasound HCA-2205AT

Rotel 1075 or 1095

I'm leaning towards the ATI 2505 but thought I'd ask the experts.............

geo

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered any from the new line of Anthem amps? The MCA 50/30/20 series? The 50 is 5 channels at 225 per (190 when all 5 are driven) and it's getting some good posts around the boards. I have the previous generation, the MCA-5II, which I really like, but I heard the new family takes it to an entirely different level.

Of the 5 that you have on your list, I would go with either the Parasound or the Rotel..probably in that order.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
At 250Wpc, the ATI 2505 provides the most power, but Rotel has been known to have great synergy with B&W speakers, so I'd recommend the RMB-1095, especially since I own one, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with its performance. Mine's matched with PSB Stratus speakers rather than B&W's though.

BTW, the Sherbourn should be 5/1500A rather than 5/5000A. Its a fine amp too, as is the Parasound. The Outlaw amp is in a totally different, inferior league.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
You're going to power a $10,000+ speaker system with a pair of mid-fi multi-channel amps? If I were you, I'd reconsider and start looking at manufacturers like Classe', Theta, Krell, and Proceed.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
JUstin, that is what I was thinking as well.

Perhaps in that group, I owuld pick the Rotel and Parasound in htat order (considering that they are probably the "higher-end" of those "mid-fi" amps that you listed). I would consider getting something a bit better as well (not that those aren't good). I have a Rotel 3X150 that I was satisfied with, but i got a high end amp (at a great deal from a friend in the bussiness, for a great price) and I am hearing things out of my CDM7NTs that I have never heard (honestly, I am amazed) that being said, I wouldn't want to sell your great speaker set up "short". Again, not to rip on those other amps, but I would look at other High-end amps. My dad runs a Mc Amp with CDM9s and that is probably as low as I would go with your set up.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Geo,
I am a little confused too. I know that you already have a pair of $2800 retail, 75 pound Citation 7.1 amps that are designed/built/serviced by Madrigal side-by-side Proceed amps. And you've already have owned Aragon 8008s at one point? I'd suggest picking up a 3rd Citation; you can still biamp. Then, you'd have $8k amps driving $10k speakers :)
Well...if you must have a change, pick up a pair of Parasound 2205s.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys,
Ricky,
I've been having some issues with my Citation 7.1 amps lately, seems their susceptible to popping with most preamp combos. As a matter of fact Rich (from Digital Theater Forum) is trying to help me get them straightened out. The Aragon 8008x3 is gone, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
Interesting that some think the amps I mentioned won't do these speakers justice. Sad part is, they are probably right.;)
That's why I'm asking the experts...
geo

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Geo, for 99.9% of the consumers out there, those amps would be more than enough, you just chose to be the .1% that the amp will not be enough, I have some Vandersteens, JBL towers 820s, JBL bookshelfs, ADS bookshelves, B&W 601s, B&W 602s, B&W CDM7NTs, an Audio-pro Sub, a Sony sub, a yamaha sub, and a B&W CDMCNT, along with a Yamaha CD-2 CD player, HK receiver, denon mini-system, teac CD player, Panasonic HIFI VCR, B&W cc3 center channel, NAD 214 amp, yamaha 2X60 amp, and $100 bill(that is all the stuff that I have sitting around except my CDMs, that I would be glad to unload) that I will give you for your speaker set up, then you could get the "mid-fi" amp and be amoungst the rest of us 99.9%ers-TIC

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Geo,
What kind of popping? During auto turn-off?
Yes I realize the Aragon is long gone, just making the point that to your ears, the Citations were sonically on par with the Aragon...which most people would consider high-end. If you do get rid of your Citations, I might be tempted to get one :)

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky,

The popping occurs when inputs are switched, when soundfields are changed, turn on and turn off. When I put in different amps (Parasound and Odyssey Stratos) the popping goes away. Rich and I are tying to fix this by soldering caps across the inputs.....

geo

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Geo: If you want plenty of power for your speakers, but don't want to spend a mint on
the amps, I have a suggestion. If I were in your position and could swing the cost, I'd get
3 Rotel RB-1090's. That will give you 6 channels of some serious matched power (380 WPC into
8 Ohms, 700 WPC into 4 Ohms). That will drive those speakers very nicely indeed. :) A
high quality solution at a cost that isn't too bad. And I don't think you would ever need
to worry about upgrading amps again. ;)
And since you'd be buying three at once, you could get a great volume deal on the price.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
To Lee's point, you can also get the parasound 3500 350x2 for your main and a 2205A for the other 5 speakers. You can probably find a 3500 for ~ $1200.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky, Lee.........
Great suggestions, however three amps just won't fit in my audio racks............. I have two audio racks side by side and the amps go on the bottom amp shelves and that's all the room I have.
I may be on to a new and of course more expensive plan. A local friend of mine is going to loan me his Krell KAV-1500 5x300W for a week. He also is running B&Ws, the N803s, and he swears by the "Krell sound". Right now I'm powering the newly arrived B&W 802s with the McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe, which I borrowed from our workout room system.
If the Krell proves to be "all that and a bag of chips" compared to the McCormack than I'll either steal my friends:D or go hunting for a good used one. But if the McCormack holds it's own with the Krell, than I'll hunt in that direction or of course and probably what will happen, I'll get the Citation 7.1s fixed;)
geo

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Whoops, Ricky your suggestion, 3500/2205 = 2 amps.
1+1=3:frowning:
geo

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well, if you want plenty of power and lack space, there's always the CINEPRO 3k6SE-Gold, Sunfire Grand Signature or CALAudio CL2500 multi channel amps. All offer in excess of 300Wpc. Or, if you need more finesse, the Theta Dreadnaught, Krell Theater Amplifier Standard/KAV series, Aragon 3005 or others...

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
look at bryston its a rock solid amp it haves a 20yr warrenty,its dead quiet,they have multi-channel models, and all the power you need

Scott H

Supporting Actor
look at byston its a rock solid amp it haves a 20yr warrenty,its dead quiet,they have multi-channel models, and all the power you need
The Odyssey Stratos has a 20 year transferable warranty as well. Also dead quiet and they have multi-channel models.

Here's the remarkable thing, and this is saying a lot coming from me, but I think the US made Stratos may be better built, better sounding, and a better value than Bryston.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Joe,
Not sure if it's cool to post other audio sites and forums where you can sure learn a lot about these amps, so do a search on Google. But here is the main site:
http://www.odysseyaudio.com/index.html
The Stratos is a very high quality, very heavy, Class A/AB power amp for discerning listeners. It's heritage is the mythical German Symphonic Line. And it's price is mind boggling, in a good way. The damn things even have German made WBT binding posts. There are pics on their site, but I can email you interior and detail pics I downloaded previously. I think the wait is about 6 weeks to get one, and they will set up the bias per your system if you wish, plus other mods are available when you order.
It may also be the highest rated amp ever at Audio Review, with a perfect 5/5 rating with 74 reviews:
http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_116037_1583crx.aspx
I am a longtime two-channel guy, priority is music. I am really, really considering replacing my Acurus A250 with this, and maybe a tube pre. I've been on the lookout for a long time, and I think this may be the one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks