What's new

What amp for Klipsch Referece Speakers? (1 Viewer)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I just purchased a Rotel RSP-1066 processor and I'm thinking about upgrading my amp. I currently have a Sherwood AM-9080 amp that is rated at 120x5. I have been considering either the Rotel 1075 or 1095, Sherbourn 5/1500a, and the Parasound 1205 or 2205. I have Klipsch Reference 3 speakers and I want a amp that is on the warm side. My question is will I see a difference in the sound quality if I move up to any of these choices. Would the 1075 or the 1205 be a improvement seeing as they are both rated around the same as the Sherwood that I'm currently using? Where can I get the Sherbourn if I decide to go that route. I have been looking on audiogon.com for a couple of weeks and haven't seen one. I am trying to keep the price to around $1300 to $1400. Thanks for the help;)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I have the reference speakers (RF-3,RC-3, and RS-2) running on a Sony TA-N9000ES.

They sound awesome to me.

The only upgrade I've been looking into is a 7 channel amp with more power so I can bi-wire the fronts.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how any of the amp choices you're considering will audibly influence the characteristics of the speakers you own. If you're finding your Klipsch speakers a bit on the bright or forward side, then working on either their positioning and/or looking into room treatments will have a far more profound choice than anything you can do in the way of amplification changes. Unless that is you move to tubes ;)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Bob,
I just purchased the 1066 myself and i also have Klipsch RF3II's. I also ordered the rmb1075 but it is not in yet at my dealer.:frowning: I do however have the 1066 hooked up in 2 ch. mode with the Rotel RB981(130x2) stereo amp. All i can say is WOW. Sounstage and detail easily surpass the Pioneer Elite VSX45tx i was using as a pre-amp. The rb981 is a great sounding amp. I am sure that the 1075 will fit in nicely to finish my system. I wasn't even looking into getting the 1066. I was having a hard to isolate noise issue on the 45tx with the multi-channel inputs and brought it in to my dealer to have him check it out. We ended up talking for a while and before i knew it he offered me a good deal on the 1066/1075 combo because i had told him i was interested in adding the 1075 and using the 45tx as a pre/pro. Well he let me return my 45tx(i paid $1000 for) towards the 1066/1075 combo. It made sense since i was going to be using all external amps anyway. For and extra $200 over the 45tx i got the 1066. Sorry about the rambling. So far IMO, Rotel should be strongly considered with the Klipsch speakers. Sounds killer over here. :)

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
I don't see how any of the amp choices you're considering will audibly influence the characteristics of the speakers you own. If you're finding your Klipsch speakers a bit on the bright or forward side, then working on either their positioning and/or looking into room treatments will have a far more profound choice than anything you can do in the way of amplification changes. Unless that is you move to tubes
A very Good friend of mine has the Exact same speakers as I do and he is running them with a very Good yamaha Receiver. The difference in sound quality is very easy to hear.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I have the Parasound 1205A matched up with Klipsch Reference speakers and the sound is wonderful. I think that you'll find a lot of happy Klipsch/Parasound owners.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I have RF-7's, KLF-20's, RF-3's, & RC-7. I purchased an AMC 150 watt per channel amp (5 channels) which sounds far superior to the internal amps in my Onkyo TXDS 797.

I think one can get these for about $800.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
BobAlbano,

I owned Klipsch Forte' speakers for about 12 years. I don't think you can make Klipsch speakers warmer by adding SS amps. Tube would be the best for getting a warmer sound out of them as Chu Gai suggested. But, taking in the life of tubes themselves. Tubes usually aren't the best for HT/stereo setups. I ran the Rotel 1095 with my setup and still wasn't satisfied with my music end of my system. HT was great. Clean, powerful, detailed etc.... I tried Cardas interconnect and speakers cables. Which helped quite a bit. Black Diamond Racing cones under my Preamp and CD players. These helped smooth things out also. But, still couldn't get to where I wanted to be in the music end of the system. Don't get me wrong the system sounded great. But, I ended up selling off the Forte's and going to what sounded to me to be a more musical and focused main speakers.

I think many in this hobby avoid room treatment. Thinking we can make up for sounds we hear or don't hear by changing out equipment. Room treatment may be the biggest mystery to most people in this hobby. Including me!

But, maybe the most important!

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Klipsch mates best with Parasound due to their warm sound. I would go for the Parasound HCA-2205AT or the Parasound HCA-1205A.

I myself have the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers with the Parasound HCA-2205AT and the Rotel RSP-1066.

Yogi

Screenwriter
B&Ks are the best with Klipsch, of all the SS amps, IMHO. Tubes would undoubtedly make them sound warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks