What's new

How Would You Rate These Amps (1 Viewer)

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering purchasing and Anthmen MCA 50 of 30. I have been researching these amps and several more. Here is my list of amps that I am considering. Numerically, how would you rate them in terms of performance?

Anthem 50 or 30
Parasound 2200at
Sunfire CG
ATI 1503
Rotel 1095
Adcom 1503
2 Adcom 555mkII
Sherbourn 200watt 5 0r 3 channel amp

Which amp have you used? What do you like about?

My system consist of a:
pioneer Elite 45tx reciever
Pioneer Elite 37 DVD Player
Paradigm Studio40's (soon to come)
Paradigm Studo 470 or 570 (soon to come)
Anthena ASB1 (for rear; for now)
Paradigm PS1200 Sub

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
1.Sherbourn
2. Parasound
3. Rotel
{big gap}
4. Anthem
5. ATI

The Sherbourn, Rotel and Parasound sounded very good when I was looking for a new amp and my choice of the Sherbourn was really a matter of personal preference. I could easily understand someone else preferring the Parasound or Rotel. I have not been impressed by any Athem or ATI amp I have heard, on any system, but other people like both of them, so YMMV. I've never heard a Sunfire or Adcom amp.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I like Anthem, Parasound, and ATI out of that list. The ATI's at and above the 200x series have a fully balanced design. Don't like Sherbourn. (The new ones use class G amplification.)

I've personally owned Adcom, Acurus, Aragon, Bryston, Anthem, and now Proceed. Had a Sherbourn 5/5210, but I never even took it out of the box... Shouldn't have bought it, except that I got such a good deal on it, I made $50 on it when I later resold it. :)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i currently own th eati 2505, and i love it . the power is awsome . are you usuing a preamp tuner, or a av reciever to
connect this ? frank

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I should note that the Sherbourn I demo'd (and still own) was the previous 5/1500A model, which is a class A/B amp, not the class G design of the current models.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I think any of those amps are fine. I am running the ATI 1505 with my Avm20. I like it and so does everyone else that has heard it. I did try the Parasound 2205AT, a beast of an amp. I stayed with the ATI in my system cause it just sounded better to me. My freind bought the Para. and it sounds great in his. We are both running Paradigm.

I think you need to try as many of these as you can. Everything sounds different in your room. None of these amps should have a problem driving your spkrs. They are a big investment (for some), but chosen wisely they can last you a very long time.

I will say that the ATI and Adcom amp are way under-rated as far as what a great value they are.

http://www.onecall.com/PID_724.htm

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I would like to listen to all of these amps, but I am only able to listen to the Anthem locally (57 miles away). For the other amps, I only have to travel for atleast 2hours or purchase through the net.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I think most of these amps are gonna run you about $1500-2000.00. That is a big chunk of change in my book. Unless you're gonna buy used, (which I'd never).

I would definetly travel 2 hours if it was gonna give me piece of mind about spending that much.

Suggestions are great, but that's all they are. Poeple are gonna say get this and others are gonna say no, get this instead. Did you really think you were gonna get a whole bunch of posts all saying go with the Parasound (I.E.)?

They are all great amps imho, but ultimately you should take the time to try for yourself.

If your one of those types that has the time and cash to change your equipment out like your underwear, then knock yourself out.

Please, I'm not being grumpy, but it's just reality.
Good luck and buy that ATI off of that link I previously posted. It's hands down the best amp ever made. EVER! By anybody! Nobody could touch it. Not Halcro, MBL, Gryphon, Accuphase..... :D

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
ok try this link you can get the ati 2505 . thats 250 x 5 for 1,500 . i bought this unit almost a year ago and it rocks. the power is unreal. also are you going to use the pioneer as a pre amp? i had the pioneer elite 39tx and the signal out put was only half a volt. it didt have enough signal from the output jacks to really drive the ati well. i purchased the avm 20 wich has 3-6 volt output and it made a very big difference. i would go for the amp you can always change the reciever later. by the way the ati 2505 weighs in a 110 pounds shipping is 137lb. yoiu wiull not be sorry. and yes i bought it from one call here is the link http://ww2.onecall.com/About_00001000_22_68_0_0_0_0.htm frank

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I use a Rotel RMB-1095 to power my Paradigm Studio(v3) 40/20/570 setup. Sound is down right awesome. Do you need a 20amp circuit as onecall posts? Do think so. I have a Monster AVS2000 which displays the total AMP draw of my gear. With everything running during a movie the setup draws 3Amps or less. Only if the amp was to ouput its max wattage through all channels at the same time would you come close to blowing a circuit breaker.

Kevin

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
FWIW, I use an ATI 1502 and 1505 with my Sherwood/Newcastle P-965. I think the combo sounds great.

That said, if I were to change amps, ATI's new amps would be on my short list.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
yes i did have to change the wall outlet , but the 20 amp circut can handle most anthying . it was well worth it. frank.

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin

Do you think that the paradigm 570 is fit for the 40s than the 470?

I heard that the rotel 1095 has a humming problems; Have you had any problems?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

THe 470 is an excellent speaker and it was the one I first had when I got my new setup. I just had the upgrade urge a few month after grtting the speakers and the 470 was replaced with the 570. Both do an excellent job but the 570 just seems to throw a bigger more detailed soundstage. If you can afford it get it. As far as 1095 humming, if you get the newer version with the clear speaker connections, you shouldn't have any problems. The all black versions of the amp tend to exhibit the problem the most. I had it with my amp but it turned out to be faulty input resistors which Rotel replaced under warranty. Took the amp in and had it back in 7days.

Kevin

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned one amp or another from all the manufactures you mentioned.
While they are all very good amps, only the Anthem MCA-30/50 can play with the big boys! (IMO)

geo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks