What's new

Which mode for 6.1 discrete? (1 Viewer)

Jason Kass

Agent
Hi,
I have a Denon 3802 and I was wondering which mode for 6.1 discrete (DTS-ES)? is it pro-logicII? And what about 5.1 that I want matrixed to the sixth speaker, the same?
The manual is a little difficult to understand. Do I set the Auto detect to on or off for the best surround detection, then matrix on or off?
What are yours set to?
Thanks,
Jason

SvenS

Second Unit
When viewing 6.1 discrete (DTS-ES) your receiver should automatically decode it as such (6.1 discrete DTS). DPL II and DTS NEO 6 are used when you have audio that is from 5.1 or less audio tracks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
DPL II and DTS NEO 6 are used when you have audio that is from 5.1 or less audio tracks.
Not quite. DPL 2 and DTS:NEO6 are for two-channel sources. 5.1 sources should be played through the appropriate 5.1 decoder (DTS or DD).
M.

Jason Kass

Agent
So... Which mode do I turn it to, or does it matter if it detects the discrete channel? I would think you would have to turn it to something specific or else you would not be able to override it.(if anyone would want to)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Denon. I suggest you try playing one of the titles (there are only a dozen or so) with DTS-ES Discrete and experiment with different settings.

M.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Jason, do you have a DVD with a 6.1 Discrete soundtrack? Gladiator? Seven SE? Insert one of those discs, make sure that the DTS option in your DVD player's setup menu is set to "bitstream" and choose the DTS audio option in the DVD's audio setup menu. If your 3802 is setup correctly, you'll notice that the "Signal Detect" light has lit up on the front of your receiver. Press the "6.1/7.1 Surround" button on the front of your receiver and the "SB CH Output" light with then light up and your display will read something to the effect of "DTS DSCRT". Movies that play in DTS, but don't have a DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack, but rather a DTS-ES Matrix or simply a DTS soundtrack will read "DTS ES Matrix" on the front panel of your receiver if there is "SB CH Output" light is lit.
DD movies with a surround back mixed in, like Atlantis or Jurassci Park 3, will read "6.1 Surround" on the display, again if the "6.1/7.1 Surround" button has been pressed and/or the "SB CH Output" light is lit. These two titles in particular have the DD-EX flag encoded on the disc, I believe, therefore also lighting up the "Signal Detect" light on the receiver.
I have my "Auto Detect" option set to off because it allows me to view movies without the SB channel and conversely, it allow me to view movies with the SB channel enabled with the press of the "6.1/7.1 Surround" button.
SB CH: Matrix On means that the receiver will process a "distinct" SB channel from the two surround channels. SB CH: Matrix Off means that the receive will still output to the surround back channel, but it will output the same information to that channel that is present in the surround channel.

Jason Kass

Agent
Thanks,
I did see the signal detect light but I never pushed the SB speaker button. I will have to give it a try when I get home tommorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks